This recipe for Bacon Mac & Cheese takes comfort food to a whole new level!
What could take creamy, cheesy mac and cheese over the top? Why, bacon, of course!
I took my classic macaroni and cheese recipe and kicked it up a few notches by adding lots of bacony-goodness.
This recipe doesn’t just have bacon mixed into the cheesey macaroni but the actual roux is made with bacon. This step adds a deeper smoky, bacon flavor that you just can’t get by stirring in cooked bacon. And, who couldn’t use a little more bacon in their lives?!
If you love bacon, head over our Bacon Month giveaway HERE. You can enter to win a super awesome Bacon Month prize pack.
And, for all of you bacon addicts out there, as part of Bacon Month we are sharing bacon recipes every Tuesday and Saturday in August. So stay tuned – there’s lots more bacon-liciousness to come! Here are some of the other bacon recipes being shared today:
SCROLL DOWN TO THE BOTTOM FOR THE PRINTABLE RECIPE.
Here are some other recipes you may like:
For more recipe inspiration, be sure to check out these pages on It is a Keeper:
Bacon Mac & Cheese
- 1 pound bacon
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- ¼ cup flour
- 2 cups milk
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon pepper
- 4 oz process cheese, cut into 1 inch cubes (or 1 cup of any other type of shredded cheese)
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 pound pasta, cooked and drained
- In a large pot, prepare pasta according to package directions.
- Meanwhile, in large skillet, heat canola oil over medium-high heat.
- Cut bacon in small pieces and cook in skillet until crispy (about 7 minutes).
- Remove cooked bacon from skilled and drain on paper towels.
- Reserve ¼ cup of bacon fat; discard the rest of the bacon fat.
- Add reserved bacon fat back into the skillet.
- Add flour and stir for one minute until it starts to gets pasty.
- Whisk in the milk. Continue to cook over medium-low heat, whisking occasionally, until the milk begins to thicken — about 5 minutes.
- Add cheese, salt and pepper and stir until cheese is melted.
- Add cooked and drained pasta and stir to combine.
- Stir in cooked bacon
Did you enjoy this post?
Then get on the list! Get FREE email updates of my latest recipes and tips. Plus, I'll send you my FREE eCookbook, 100 Easy Recipes