Make sure you are prepared for the next storm with this easy DIY Emergency Kit.
This post may contain affiliate links. For more information read my disclosure policy.
If a storm, disaster or emergency was to strike your area, would you be ready? Do you have essential supplies in an easy to access place? Would you be ready to leave your home on a moment’s notice?
I know that I have most of the supplies I need in the case of an emergency or storm, but they’re not all in one place. The truth is, if we lost power I would have to scramble around looking for everything I needed. Until now!
I made my own emergency kit and plan to make we were prepared.
How to Make Your Own DIY Emergency Kit
A little preparation goes a long way in the case of an emergency or disaster. Creating your own DIY Emergency Kit is pretty easy and you probably have a number of the items already.
- First aid kit
- Flashlight and extra batteries
- Weather radio (we love this one – you can even charge your cell phone with it)
- Non perishable food
- Bottled water (one gallon per person should last 3 days)
- Can opener (non-electric)
- Hand santizer, wipes and paper towels
- 1 blankets for each person in your home (these emergency blankets are great because they are very compact)
- Emergency contact information – you can get a handy printable here
- Essential medications
- Diapers and formula (for babies)
If you have pets, you should also include:
- Pet food in an airtight container
- Extra water
Store these items in a large air tight tote or a 5 gallon bucket.
You could also pick up these pre-assembled emergency back packs. They come packed with everything you may need in the case of an emergency (minus the cash!), including food, water and much more. Everything is packed in a convenient back pack.
Good Old Fashioned Fun
You should also think about ways to keep your family entertained during time when you may be powerless. Here are some of my favorites:
Did you enjoy this post?
Get FREE email updates of my latest recipes and tips. Plus, I'll send you my FREE eCookbook, The Best Slow Cooker Recipes Every Cook Needs!