Recently, I had the opportunity to preview some innovative products that were to designed to save energy and money!
This post may contain affiliate links. For more information read my disclosure policy.
Over the past few months, I’ve learned a lot about energy efficiency as a Project Envolve ambassador for PPL. It’s been an eye opening experience to see how far energy efficiency has come over the past six years.
When you think about it, six years ago, we barely knew what a CFL bulb was. Today, it’s all about LEDs – which are even more energy efficient than their CFL predecessors.
My family and many others have taken steps to become more energy efficient in our homes and businesses and it’s making a difference. These products and initiatives are not just saving resources but they are helping save money, too.
Over the past six years, PPL customers saved over 2 billion kWh per year. BILLION. That’s huge! It’s the equivalent of taking 295,000 cars off the road.
Last week, I had the opportunity to attend an Energy Innovation Showcase and learn more about exciting energy saving innovations. It was fun to see the various products that are taking energy efficiency to a new level. Here’s are sneak peek at some of the products we got to experience:
- Belkin Wemo Insight Switch: This cool product looks like a basic timer that you plug in. But, the cool thing about this product is it lets you turn off whatever is plugged into it with your smart phone. This is great for parents that have children who like to leave lights on (like mine!). You can also manage your cost and usage from anywhere.
- Bedol Water Alarm Clock: This clock keeps time without batteries or electricity. It uses plain water by converting ions into clean energy power.
- Snowden Soft Brew Tea Pot: This pot is micro-engineered to provide enough space for the tea leaves to steep properly without the waste of tea bags.
- DIY Solar LED Light Kit: You can use this kit to design your own custom solar-powered LED light. You can use these in a mason jar, pumpkin or other outdoor decorations.
- Sunflair Solar Oven: This was one of my favorite products. It can heat up to 285 degrees . I can definitely see our family using this for tailgating or camping.
- Biolite Wood Burning Camp Stove: This compact camp creates a smokeless campfire that allows you to cook and boil water. Plus, it converts the excess heat into electricity via thermoelectric generation – allowing you to charge your cell phone right. Pretty cool, huh?!
Not only did we get to check out these cutting edge products, but we got to learn about the future of energy efficiency from PPL energy experts.
You’ll probably start seeing programs that involve:
- Recycling appliances such as window air conditioners in addition to the refrigerators and freezers that PPL already recycles
- More efficient home comfort products such as heat pumps, smart thermostats and refrigerators
- Personalized home energy saving reports, and more!
It’s exciting to see how far we’ve come and where the future will take us. Stay tuned for more great innovations from PPL and Project Envolve.
*Disclosure: This post is sponsored by PPL Electric Utilities. I am a Project Envolve Ambassador and have received product/compensation to facilitate this post. This post may also contain affiliate links. As always, all opinions are 100% my own.
See what tips other Project Envolve Ambassadors have to share!
Did you enjoy this post?
Then get on the list! Get FREE email updates of my latest recipes and tips. Plus, I'll send you my FREE eCookbook, 7 Best Slow Cooker Recipes Every Cook Needs!