Start off on the right foot this holiday season by making sure you stick to your holiday budget. I have some tips and printables to keep you on track.
I participated in an Influencer Activation on behalf of Influence Central for American Express Serve® Cash Back. I applied for the Serve Cash Back card to facilitate my review and received a promotional item to thank me for my participation.
Don’t let the holidays put you in the red. With a little planning and following my tips, you can stay on budget this holiday season.
Between gifts, stocking stuffers, decorations and parties, expenses can sneak up on you and before you know it, you’ve blown your holiday budget.
Before the holidays, I try to set a reasonable budget for my family’s expenditures, taking into consideration every facet of the holidays – sending cards to family and friends, buying gifts, decorations and parties. I have found that if I start out organized, I can stay on track more easily.
Here are some simple tips to help you stick to your holiday budget:
5 Tips for Sticking to a Holiday Budget
- Set a budget for your holiday gift giving – Start by deciding how much you want to spend on gifts this holiday season. Knowing how much you can spend from the get go will help you stay on track throughout the shopping season.
- Plan out what gifts you need to buy– Take a moment and plan out who you need to shop for. Don’t just include your family, think about others that you usually buy for too, like the mail carrier, school bus driver and neighbors. I created a printable to help you with this. Scroll down to the bottom of the post to get the free printable.
- Keep track of your spending as you go — It’s easy to get carried away when holiday shopping. Between all of the door busters and holiday deals, you can easily overspend. Keep careful track of how much you’ve spent on each person as you shop. I created this Christmas Gift Budget printable to help stay organized. As soon as I return home from shopping I update it so I always know where I stand. Scroll down to the bottom of the post to get the free printable.
- Save your receipts – Always save your receipts when holiday shopping. Not only is this handy if someone needs to make an after-Christmas return, but if you accidentally over-spend, you can easily make adjustments.
- Use a prepaid card – Use a card like the American Express Serve® Cash Back prepaid debit card and preload the exact amount you want to spend this holiday season. This will keep you from overspending and help you stay on track.
American Express Serve® Cash Back prepaid debit card is a full service reloadable prepaid account that offers convenient and easy access to money management tools at no or low cost plus you can earn cash back on everyday purchases.
I’ve been using this card for several weeks now and I love how easy it is to stay on budget. I used the preloaded card to get a head start on my holiday shopping. I’ve been using it online and in stores to purchases gifts for my family and friends.
I’ve used the card on Amazon.com to order something for my husband and in stores like Target and Toys ‘R Us to snag some pre-holiday deals for my son. I’ve even used it to order my holiday greeting cards and purchase stamps. You can use it anywhere that accepts American Express.
I also like the way I can easily track what I’ve spent by monitoring my account online. And, because the card is preloaded, it’s impossible to overspend without adding more money to my account.
There are also some other great benefits to this card:
- Use your American Express Serve® Cash Back prepaid debit card to withdraw cash from over 24,000MoneyPass® ATMs.
- Use your American Express Serve® Cash Back prepaid debit card to virtually anywhere American Express Cards are accepted.
- Use the American Express Serve Cash Back Mobile app to check your balance and recent transactions, pay bills on the go, deposit checks and send money to family or friends who have a Serve account.
- Get world Class 24/7 American Express Customer Service: 1-800-954-0559.
- Protect eligible purchases made with the Card against accidental damage and theft for up to 90 days from the date of purchase.
- Get Roadside Assistance Hotline you can call in case of emergency for reliable service.
But the best part is, American Express Serve® Cash Back prepaid debit card is the only debit account with 1% cash back on purchases. This is a great bonus during the holidays. I’m using my cash back to pay for a little something special for myself.
The American Express Serve® Cash Back prepaid debit card is definitely a keeper! You can get your own American Express Serve® Cash Back prepaid debit card at at a retailer for up to $3.95 depending on the retailer, or you can get one online. There are no credit checks, minimum balances or hidden fees.
For more recipe inspiration, be sure to check out these pages on It is a Keeper:
Get the Printables
Did you enjoy this post?
Then get on the list! Get FREE email updates of my latest recipes and tips. Plus, I'll send you my FREE eCookbook, 7 Best Slow Cooker Recipes Every Cook Needs!