This easy Lemon Ice Box Cake is one of my favorite no bake desserts! It’s easy to make and it’s a great recipe to let your kids help with!
I just love ice box cakes. There is something about this classic, no-fuss dessert that makes me swoon. Maybe it’s the creamy layers or maybe it’s the way the graham crackers magically turn into a soft, flaky layer. Most likely, it’s both. It’s just so good.
I love this particular recipe because the tart lemony flavor reminds of summer and warmer temperatures. I also love it because it’s a great way to get my son in the kitchen to help me. He can help me measure ingredients, mix, pour and assemble.
I truly love cooking and baking with him. He pulls his white stool up next to me and we chit chat the whole time about what’s going on in his 2nd grade world. He’s been helping me cook since he was about three. I can always find a job just right for his size and ability.
Over the years, he’s learned a lot about cooking and baking (his wife will thank me one day!). He also asks lots of questions about the recipes he’s helping with. He’s like a little sponge. I love it.
For this particular recipe I used a surprise ingredient — Coffee-mate liquid creamer. Coffee-mate’s smooth, creamy taste has been perfected to bring out the flavor in your coffee. I love how creamy it is. Coffee-mate has several flavors with a range of sweetness — from Original, to Italian Sweet Cream, to their newest offering — Extra Sweet & Creamy. The new Extra Sweet & Creamy, gives you a balanced cup with creamy taste and extra sweetness. I absolutely love it!
I love using Coffee-mate in my coffee every morning so I decided to give it a try in a recipe. BINGO! It added a level of creaminess that I just couldn’t get from milk. I used the Coffee-mate Extra Sweet & Creamy variety, but the Original variety would also work perfectly too.
Substituting Coffee-mate liquid creamer in place of milk in a recipe has become one of my favorite little tricks! I do it with pancakes, muffins and even sauces. It gives the recipe a little something extra that you just can’t get from milk.
There are so many recipes that you can use Coffee-mate in. Check out their website for more ideas and inspiration. You can also follow Coffee-mate on Twitter for more delicious fun and giveaway opportunities!
I’d love to know…what is your favorite no bake dessert?
No Bake Desserts: Easy Lemon Ice Box Cake
Compliments of It’s a Keeper
- 2 (3.5 oz) packages instant lemon pudding mix
- 1 (8 0z) container frozen whipped topping, thawed
- 3 cups Coffee-mate liquid creamer + 2 Tbsp (original or Sweet & Creamy varieties)
- 2 Tbsp lemon zest, divided
- 1 (16 oz) package graham crackers
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1 1/2 cups powdered sugar
- 2 Tbsp lemon juice
- In a large bowl, whisk together the pudding mixes, Coffee-mate liquid creamer and 1 tablespoon of lemon zest. Fold in whipped topping until combined.
- Place a single layer of graham crackers on the bottom of a 13×9 baking dish. You may need to break some of the crackers to completely cover the bottom of the baking dish.
- Pour 1/2 of the pudding mixture on top of the graham crackers. Spread into an even layer.
- Place another layer of graham crackers on top of the pudding mixture.
- Pour remaining pudding on top of graham crackers and spread into an even layer.
- Place a final layer of graham crackers on top of the pudding mixture.
- To make the frosting, beat the butter, powdered sugar, 2 tablespoons of Coffee-mate liquid creamer, 2 tablespoons lemon juice and 1 tablespoon lemon zest in a large bowl until smooth and creamy.
- Frosting will need to be somewhat thin to spread evenly. If frosting is too thick, add 1 teaspoon of Coffee-mate liquid creamer until desired consistency is reached.
- Spread frosting on top of graham crackers.
- Refrigerate for at least 4 hours before serving.
For more recipe inspiration, be sure to check out these pages on It’s a Keeper:
I was selected for this opportunity as a member of Clever Girls Collective and the content and opinions expressed here are all my own.
Did you enjoy this post?
Get FREE email updates of my latest recipes and tips. Plus, I'll send you my FREE eCookbook, The Best Slow Cooker Recipes Every Cook Needs!