This Strawberry Spinach Salad with Orange Poppyseed Dressing is a light and refreshing side dish!
The arrival of spring is a holiday worth celebrating. Here in the South, I am blessed with so many flowering trees, it’s a visual and sensory overload to see all the different colors and smell all the blooming trees in the air. I love how the in season produce changes, and one of my favorite spring fruits, the strawberry, is perfectly ripe and for sale at every farmer’s market and corner stand.
When I was growing up, there was a strawberry field about 4 miles from my house. You could go and pick strawberries until your heart is content. There is nothing better than a perfectly ripe strawberry, the smell they give off and the beautiful color they have. None of that half white, mealy stuff that they call strawberries you get in the dead of winter! No, I’m talking juicy, plump, bright red beauties!
These strawberries deserve their time in the spotlight and to be the highlight of a dish. This spinach strawberry salad does just that! The orange poppy seed dressing complements the sweetness of the strawberries without taking away from the flavor. The avocado adds a buttery texture, the red onion adds a contrasting bite without being overwhelming. The icing on the cake has to be these candied walnuts, you don’t want to leave those out!
I just adore salad, and could honestly have one everyday. This is the kind of salad that you can quickly throw together and plate on fancy dishes and serve to guests, or served in a Tupperware container for an afternoon pick me up for lunch. After all, who doesn’t love strawberries?
This salad is very versatile too! You can add your favorite protein; balsamic tofu, baked chicken tenders, or marinaded salmon and make this salad into a main dinner entree. You could also stuff this salad into a pita or whole wheat wrap with your favorite protein and have one killer sandwich on your hands.
If like you this recipe, make sure you sign up for It Is a Keeper’s email newsletter! You’ll receive a FREE Kitchen Cheat Sheet Printable as a thank you!
SCROLL DOWN TO THE BOTTOM FOR THE PRINTABLE RECIPE.
For more recipe inspiration, be sure to check out these pages on It is a Keeper:
Strawberry Spinach Salad
- 2 bags organic baby spinach
- 1/2 container of juicy ripe strawberries washed and sliced
- 1/4 small red onion finely sliced
- 1 cup serving of candied walnuts 1/2
- 1 large avocado cubed
Orange Poppyseed Dressing
- Juice of 2 oranges
- 2 tbs . white balsamic vinegar
- 3 tbs . olive oil
- 2 tsp . poppy seeds
- 1/2 tsp . salt
- In a large salad bowl, add both bags of spinach.
- Wash and hull the strawberries. Slice lengthwise and sprinkle over greens
- Thinly slice red onion and add to salad.
- Make the candied walnuts. While nuts are cooling, pit and cube the avocado.
Orange Poppyseed Dressing
- While the nuts are cooling, make the dressing. In a small bowl, add the juice of 2 oranges. Add the white balsamic vinegar. While whisking, slowly add olive oil until emulsified. Stir in poppy seeds.
- Add walnuts to salad. Toss salad with dressing or serve on the side.
- This salad will provide 4 adult portions or 6 appetizer sized salads.
The nutritional information provided are estimates. To learn more about how I calculate this information go to www.itisakeeper.com/about-its-a-keeper/privacy-disclosure-policies/