This Turkey and Kale Soup with Cheddar Crostini is a light, healthy soup topped with flavorful crostini. It’s like having a gourmet grilled cheese on top of your soup!
Chopped is one of my favorite shows on Food Network. I love the moment when the contestants open their mystery basket to see what mystery ingredients they will be cooking with.
It’s amazing to see the incredible dishes they are able to come up with on the spot with the basket contents under limiting time constraints. Impressive!
Recently, I was given the opportunity to take the Chopped at Home challenge by Sargento. My mission was to come up with a delicious recipe using the following ingredients:
- Sargento® Chef Blends 4 State Cheddar
- Oyster Crackers
This was the first time I had tasted Sargento® Chef Blends 4 State Cheddar. It’s a blend of Sharp Wisconsin Cheddar, Sharp Vermont Cheddar, Sharp New York Cheddar and Mild California Cheddar cheeses that creates a complex, full range of delicious flavor.
The flavor and texture were amazing. It’s a great cheese for so many recipes.
Find more information about Sargento and its products at http://www.sargento.com.
For my Chopped at Home recipe, I created a Turkey Meatball Soup with Kale and Cheddar Crostini.
I wanted the flavor of the Sargento® Chef Blends 4 State Cheddar to really shine and this simple Cheddar Crostini was the perfect way to do that.
My family loved this soup. It’s light and flavorful and the cheddar crostini are like having little grilled cheese bites nestled on top of your soup!
If you this recipe, make sure you sign up for It Is a Keeper’s email newsletter! You’ll receive a FREE Kitchen Cheat Sheet Printable as a thank you!
SCROLL DOWN TO THE BOTTOM FOR THE PRINTABLE RECIPE.
For more recipe inspiration, be sure to check out these pages on It is a Keeper:
Turkey and Kale Soup with Cheddar Crostini
Turkey and Kale Soup with Cheddar Crostini
- ¾ lb ground turkey
- 2 tsp of grated onion
- 2 cloves of garlic - grated
- 2 slices bacon - finely chopped
- Salt and Pepper - to taste
- 1 Tbsp of fresh chopped parsley
- 2 Tbsp of crushed oyster crackers
- 1 Egg
- 1 Tbsp of milk
- 3 Tbsp of grated parmesan cheese
- 1 small onion - chopped
- 2 medium carrots - diced
- 2 stalks of celery - diced
- 3 cloves of garlic - minced
- 1 Tbsp of olive oil
- 6 cups of chicken stock
- 5 ounces of fresh kale - washed and dried, coarsley chopped
- Fresh chopped parsley
- Salt and Pepper
- Fresh grated parmesan cheese
- 1 baguette - sliced into rounds
- 2 oz Sargento® Chef Blends 4 State Cheddar
- 1 clove fresh garlic
- In a large bowl, combine all of ingredients for the meatballs, mix well.
- Scoop one tablespoon of the mixture and form small meatballs.
- Bake meatballs in 350 degree oven for 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a large pot over medium high heat, add the olive oil.
- When the pan is hot add the onion, carrots, celery and garlic. Season with salt and pepper.
- Saute for about 5 minutes, until vegetables are softened.
- Add the chicken stock and bring to a boil.
- Add the meatballs and let them cook in the hot liquid for about 10 minutes.
- Add the kale and cook for two minutes.
- Rub the clove of garlic over the baguette slices to infuse the flavor into the bread.
- Evenly top each baguette slice with cheese.
- Place under a preheated broiler for 2 minutes or until the bread is toasted and the cheese has melted.
- Remove soup from heat and add fresh parsely and grated parmesan cheese before serving.
- Top with cheddar crostini.
- Want to scale a recipe up or down? Simply type in a new serving amount and the recipe will automatically adjust!
- When a recipe call for House Seasoning Blend, you can use this recipe or substitute salt and pepper to taste.
- I always use unsalted butter in my recipes.
- I always use a meat thermometor to test for doneness when cooking meat. This one is my favorite.
- When a recipe is made in the oven, it should be pre-heated to the temperature in the recipe, unless otherwise noted.
- The nutritional information provided in this recipe is an estimate. Learn more on how I calculate nutritional information for my recipes.
Available in 30 versatile varieties, unique blends and distinct cuts, Sargento Shredded Cheese is always cut from blocks of 100% real, natural cheese. For more inspiration, check out the Sargento Pinterest page Pinterest.com/sargentocheese/ or visit Sargento.com for more information. The Chopped at Home Challenge gives viewers a chance to create their best recipe using the selected basket ingredients, including Sargento Shredded Cheese, for a chance to win $10,000!
This is a sponsored conversation written by me on behalf of Sargento. The opinions and text are all mine.