Do you ever get bored with “eating right?” I do. I flip flop from low-carb dieting to balanced eating to the “Eat Everything In Sight” diet! What I have found is that it is much easier to stick with a healthy eating plan when you have lots of variety.
So, that is where this salad recipe came from. Much of the time, I make a fabulous BLT Salad (especially when I’m eating low-carb) or a classic Italian Tossed Salad but on this particular day neither of them appealed to me. I had to have something tasty and new! It helped that I had a bag of frozen shrimp in the freezer and a fresh avocado in the frig! So, I pulled them out along with a lovely crisp cucumber, ripe red tomato, black olives, green & red peppers and a zesty lime and started making the best salad I had had in a very long time!
I loved it just this way but this salad tastes very good with lettuce in it, as well. This time I left it out…that boredom thing…but I have made a similar salad with lettuce (below.) Making it without lettuce has another upside– it opens up the possibility of preparing it in advance, sticking it in the refrigerator and serving it later. Brilliant!
Now, you know how salads go. A little of this. A little of that. You determine the quantities and what you’d like to put in. Use your imagination. In fact, I would like to know what you would put in this salad. Let us hear your ideas!
If you this recipe, make sure you sign up for It Is a Keeper’s email newsletter! You’ll receive a FREE Kitchen Cheat Sheet Printable as a thank you!
SCROLL DOWN TO THE BOTTOM FOR THE PRINTABLE RECIPE.
Here are some other recipes you may like:
For more recipe inspiration, be sure to check out these pages on It is a Keeper:
Shrimp & Avocado Salad
Shrimp & Avocado Salad With Lime
- 5 Jumbo frozen shrimp - thawed
- 1/2 Avocado
- 1/2 Cucumber
- 1/2 Large tomato
- 6 Black olives
- 1/4 cup chopped green pepper
- 1/4 cup chopped red pepper
- 1/2 Lime
- Salt & Pepper
- Place frozen shrimp in a cup of warm water.
- Remove a few minutes later, when thawed.
- Shell the shrimp and cut into bite sized pieces.
- Slice the avocado into wedges, then cut into bite-sized pieces.
- Shop the cucumber, tomato, green & red peppers into square pieces.
- Mix all of the ingredients together and put on your salad plate.
- Squeeze lime juice over it.
- Salt & pepper to taste.
- Want to scale a recipe up or down? Simply type in a new serving amount and the recipe will automatically adjust!
- When a recipe call for House Seasoning Blend, you can use this recipe or substitute salt and pepper to taste.
- I always use unsalted butter in my recipes.
- I always use a meat thermometor to test for doneness when cooking meat. This one is my favorite.
- When a recipe is made in the oven, it should be pre-heated to the temperature in the recipe, unless otherwise noted.
- The nutritional information provided in this recipe is an estimate. Learn more on how I calculate nutritional information for my recipes.