This Cherry Macadamia Nut Granola makes a great breakfast or a healthy snack.
Hi again! It’s Jade here and I’m so glad to be back sharing another easy recipe that you can make with your kids. It’s been a while since I shared and with school just around the corner for most of us I thought I would share a nice breakfast you can make with your kids. My kids and hubby adore granola and I love making it at home.
It saves us so much money to make it instead of buying it by the pound. I can easily make at least 2 lbs of granola for the same price it would cost me to buy 1 lb. Plus I really dislike how sugary the ones you buy in the store are. Making my own means I can easily tailor it to my family’s likes and dislikes.
The best part is that I can easily whip this up with my kids on Saturday morning and we have enough to last us a few days. If we are really on top of things we will also make some Tropical Granola and between the two we have guaranteed granola for the whole week. I even will send some yogurt and granola with my daughter in her lunch for school to help mix up the usually routine. She’s always excited for her lunch on those days.
Granola is a perfect recipe to make with kids because it is mostly a dump everything in a bowl and mix really well recipe. My kids love getting in there and using the spatulas to “chop” it up. I take care of the stirring in the oven but they help with everything else.
Although it may be extra work to involve kids in the cooking process I find it to be really rewarding an worth the effort. Besides breakfast foods our all time favorite meals to make with the kids are pizzas and Sweet and Sour Meatballs. My kids love getting to chop up all the veggies with their safety knives (mine are from Pampered Chef) and then rolling all the meatballs.
What are your kids favorite recipes to make? Or which meals have you found success with cooking with kids?
If you this recipe, make sure you sign up for It Is a Keeper’s email newsletter! You’ll receive a FREE Kitchen Cheat Sheet Printable as a thank you!
SCROLL DOWN TO THE BOTTOM FOR THE PRINTABLE RECIPE.
Here are some other recipes you may like:
My Favorite Homemade Granola
For more recipe inspiration, be sure to check out these pages on It is a Keeper:
Cherry Macadamia Nut Granola
Cherry Macadamia Nut Granola
- 4 cups rolled oats
- 1 cup shredded coconut
- 1 cup chopped macadamia nuts
- ¾ cup dried cherries
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- ⅓ cup melted coconut oil
- ½ cup honey
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees F.
- In a large bowl, stir together the oats, macadamia nuts, and coconut.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the vanilla extract, coconut oil, and honey.
- Pour mixture over the oats and nuts. Using two spatulas stir and "chop" the oat mixture until they are well coated.
- Spread the granola out in a greased rimmed cookie sheet, or 2 if you need.
- Press the granola down and bake for 15 minutes.
- Gently stir the granola and bake for another 10-15 minutes, check to make sure that the macadamia nuts are browning but not burning.
- Remove pan from oven and allow to cool completely, about an hour. Break apart and add the cherries. Stir to mix well. Store in an airtight container.
Estimated Nutritional Information
The nutritional information provided are estimates. To learn more about how I calculate this information go to www.itisakeeper.com/about-its-a-keeper/privacy-disclosure-policies/