These Breakfast Arepas are an easy, gluten free way to start your day!
I participated in an Ambassador Program on behalf of Influence Central for P.A.N. Cornmeal. I received product samples as well as a promotional item to thank me for my participation. #PanFan
Recently, I discovered Arepas – South American flatbreads that are made of cornmeal. They are a staple in Venezuelan and Columbian cooking and, because they are made of cornmeal, they are a great gluten free option.
Arepas are crispy on the outside with a soft and creamy interior. They have a very mild flavor and are perfect for making sandwiches or served with butter.
They go great with all kinds of sandwich toppings — I tried brisket and chicken salad. But, they are also great for breakfast. I sliced one in half and topped with scrambled eggs and bacon.
It was a great alternative to the biscuit sandwiches that I usually make. My family devoured them!
To make the recipe, I used P.A.N. Cornmeal. It’s a must-have pantry staple in my kitchen.
P.A.N. Cornmeal is the number one cornmeal in South America and has been around for many years. Only recently has it been making its way into American kitchens.
You can find lots of quick and easy recipes from P.A.N. Cornmeal here.
I found that the key to making Arepas is to slowly mix in the cornmeal to the liquid. I used one hand to pour in the cornmeal while stirring with my free hand.
It took only a few minutes for everything to come together and the dough was lump free.
I also used a pastry cutter to evenly divide the dough into 8 equal pieces. And, then I cooked them on a grill pan. It was quite simple.
If you this recipe, make sure you sign up for It Is a Keeper’s email newsletter! You’ll receive a FREE Kitchen Cheat Sheet Printable as a thank you!
SCROLL DOWN TO THE BOTTOM FOR THE PRINTABLE RECIPE.
Here are some other recipes you may like:
For more recipe inspiration, be sure to check out these pages on It is a Keeper:
- 2 cups P.A.N. precooked white cornmeal
- 2 1/2 cups water
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Garlic butter
- 8 eggs, scrambled
- 8 slices bacon, cooked
- In a large bowl, add the water and salt; stir to combine.
- Slowly pour in the cornmeal and mix for 1-2 minutes until the dough is smooth.
- Divide dough into 8 even pieces; form each piece into a disc that is 4-5 inches in diameter.
- Heat a greased grill pan over medium-high heat.
- Add Arepas and cook for 5 minutes on each side.
- Remove cooked Arepas from pan and slice across the middle.
- Spread an even layer of garlic butter on each half.
- Place 1/8 of the scrambled egg and 1 slice of bacon on the bottom half of the Arepa and top with the remaining half.
- Repeat for remaining Arepas.