My family loves Sloppy Joes! This time I put a fun twist on them and made Sausage and Pepper Sloppy Joes!
I participated in an Influencer Activation on behalf of Influence Central for Shady Brook Farms. I received complimentary products to facilitate my review as well as a promotional item to thank me for my participation.
These easy Sausage and Pepper Sloppy Joes are an easy meal solution. They are ready in 30 minutes and perfect for busy nights.
My family loves Sloppy Joes and they love Sausage and Peppers so I thought, why not combine the two?! The result was an incredible sandwich that had my son begging for seconds!
A while back, I shared my favorite recipe for Sausage and Peppers. It is a loose adaptation of my sister’s father-in-law’s recipe. That man makes killer Sausage and Peppers! This time, I took his recipe and adapted it so it had the consistency of Sloppy Joes.
I usually use a mix of hot and sweet Italian sausage links for my sausage and peppers but this time I used Shadybrook Farms turkey sausage. I used ground, loose sausage, but you can use links – just remove the casings.
Swapping turkey sausage for traditional pork sausage is a great way to lighten up this recipe.
Shady Brook Farms works with more than 700 independent farmers to produce these wholesome turkeys raised without growth-promoting antibiotics. It’s better turkey without a premium price.
I also diced the peppers and onions so that they were smaller. Not only does this help with the texture, but it also helps them cook faster.
The recipe is easy and can be made in 30 minutes, but, truth be told, the longer it sets, the better it gets. I made this recipe on a Sunday with the intention of having it for dinner on Tuesday. This way the flavors have a chance to hangout and really develop.
You can also easily make a double batch and freeze some for another night. It’s a real time saver!
Sausage and Pepper Sloppy Joes
Sausage and Pepper Sloppy Joes
- 1 pound ground Shady Brook Farms sausage
- 1 green bell pepper - chopped
- 1 onion - chopped
- 4 cloves of garlic - thinly sliced
- 1 oz can of crushed tomatoes - 28
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- 1 bay leaf
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1/4 cup parmesan cheese - grated
- Brown sausage with onions and peppers in a large skillet.
- Add remaining ingredients and simmer for 15 minutes.
- Serve on your favorite sandwich roll.
- Want to scale a recipe up or down? Simply type in a new serving amount and the recipe will automatically adjust!
- When a recipe call for House Seasoning Blend, you can use this recipe or substitute salt and pepper to taste.
- I always use unsalted butter in my recipes.
- I always use a meat thermometor to test for doneness when cooking meat. This one is my favorite.
- When a recipe is made in the oven, it should be pre-heated to the temperature in the recipe, unless otherwise noted.
- The nutritional information provided in this recipe is an estimate. Learn more on how I calculate nutritional information for my recipes.
Here are some tips for cooking with turkey products:
- Don’t let the bone intimidate you – look at it as a free bouillon packet to add flavor
- Cook your turkey slowly for the best taste and tenderness
- Use big, bright flavors
- Our turkey loves balanced elements such as fresh citrus and acidic ingredients
- Make sure to remove the skin from the bone-in breast after cooking
Shady Brook Farms turkey products are available in the following states: ME, NH, VT, NY, NJ, MA, VA, RI, CT, PA, MD, DE, WV, NC, SC, GA, and FL. For those outside of those states, look for Shady Brook Farms’ sister brand, Honeysuckle White.