As a child growing up in the Caribbean, soup was the meal we had on Saturdays. Every Saturday morning like clockwork one of my parents would be in the kitchen cooking up a pot load of soup to be eaten. I got tired of “Soup Saturdays” very quickly.
Now that I’m living in Florida, I appreciate having some soup on occasion. Florida gets randomly cold during the Winter time and diving into some warm soup, bursting with flavor is always a great way to get warm.
I love, love this split peas soup for two reasons. I make the majority of this soup in my slow cooker. Yippe. The other reason? So much flavor is packed in this little soup. Eash slurp allows you to taste the peas, garlic and then the crunch of the croutons with a little hidden kick? Bring the coldness on.
I did mention that this was beyond easy right? Add your split peas in some water to your slow cooker and walk away. (You do not need to check it every 30 minutes like I do. *shakes head*). Once the peas are soft and tender you transfer to the stove for about five minutes to blend your flavors and your soup is ready.
This is a creamy soup. This is a bit opposite of the types of soups I grew up on. The most popular soup in Trinidad and Tobago is a corn soup that is a bit more liquid based that this soup which is a cream. I welcomed this creamy soup happily.
And the crunchy croutons!
If you want to be fancy, a dollop of sour cream is a good addition.
Are you a soup lover? What is your favorite type of soup? And do you have a “Soup Day” in your family?
Be sure to check out these best slow cooker recipes of all time and my slow cooker tips and tricks.
My Favorite Slow Cooker Items
- My favorite slow cooker
- My favorite casserole slow cooker
- Disposable slow cooker liners (I can’t live without these!)
- Slow cooker travel bag
- Slow Cooker Essentials
My Favorite Slow Cooker Cookbooks
- Slow Cooker Revolution
- Fix It and Forget It Big Cookbook
- The Magical Slow Cooker: Recipes for Busy Moms
More Easy Recipes You May Enjoy
Get even more of the best slow cooker recipes of all time on my Slow Cooker Pinterest board.
Slow Cooker Split Pea Soup with Spicy Croutons
Split Peas Soup with Spicy Croutons
Split Pea Soup
- 1 cup dried split peas
- 3 cups water
- Salt & black pepper to taste
- 1/2 tbs garlic powder
- 2 celery stalks, sliced
- 3 tbs heavy cream
- Put split peas into slow cooker
- Cover with water (make sure that the water is more than covering the peas)
- Cook on low for 4 hours (or high for 2)
- Heat cast iron pan
- Add oil
- Saute celery until translucent.
- Add split peas from slow cooker
- Add salt, pepper and garlic powder
- Let simmer on low for 10 - 15 minutes; Keep an eye so that water does not dry out
- Crush split peas to desired consistency
- Add heavy cream and stir
- Pour soup into bowls
- Top with croutons
- Heat oven to 400 degrees
- Cut bread slices into bite size pieces.
- Toss with olive oil, black pepper, salt and red pepper flakes
- Lay out on baking sheet
- Bake for 15 minutes
Estimated Nutritional Information
The nutritional information provided are estimates. To learn more about how I calculate this information go to www.itisakeeper.com/about-its-a-keeper/privacy-disclosure-policies/