These Whole Wheat Chocolate Chip Bars are a yummy treat and the perfect kid friendly snack.
School days will be here before we know it! And as you’re buying your school supplies and thinking through the new routines for the school year, remember to plan ahead with your meals, especially lunches and snacks for the kiddos.
With my three tweens, we go through a LOT of food daily, and I try to keep up, not only with feeding them but by keeping us eating healthy and on a budget. Because we stick to a strict grocery budget, we make a lot of our own after-school snacks and “goodies” to pack in lunch boxes.
And because I like my kids to eat whole grains, I adapt recipes to include more fiber and less sugar than they typically have. With these Whole Wheat Chocolate Chip Bars, the kids get fiber from the oats and wheat flour while still enjoying a sweet chocolately treat. It’s a win-win!
Older kids like mine can make this recipe on their own, and I’ve been happy to have their help in the kitchen lately. They love to bake, and I love seeing frugal pantry ingredients turn into a healthy, delicious snack. What are your favorite homemade after-school snacks?
For more lunchbox and afterschool healthy treats, check out:
More Recipes You Might Like
Looking for more? Check out all of the quick easy recipes for dinner on It Is a Keeper.
⭐ Did you make this recipe? Please give it a star rating below! ⭐
Whole Wheat Chocolate Chip Bars
- 1 1/2 cups old fashioned oats
- 3 cups wheat flour
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1/2 cup Greek yogurt
- 2 large eggs
- 1 Tbsp vanilla extract
- 1 cup semisweet chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line a 9x13 baking pan with foil and spray with nonstick cooking spray.
- In a large bowl, combine dry ingredients: oats, flour, baking soda and salt.
- In another bowl, beat sugar and butter until creamy. Beat in yogurt, eggs and vanilla until smooth.
- Add flour mixture to wet ingredients, gently stirring until a dough forms. Fold in chocolate chips.
- Press dough evenly into prepared pan. Bake for 25-30 minutes or until bars begin to turn golden around the edges.
- Cool completely in pan, then lift out with foil. Slice into squares.