This overnight Slow Cooker Oatmeal will quickly become one of your favorite easy crock pot recipes. It’s one of the best slow cooker recipes of all time.
Quick and easy and perfect for back to school, slow cooker overnight steel cut oatmeal topped with chopped pistachios, toasted coconut, and cherry compote is a perfect way to start the morning.
With back to school right around the corner I’ve been thinking of ways to make our mornings smoother. My son starts school a half hour earlier than my daughter did last year so that’s a big adjustment we have to make. I’ve found that either having a stash of Sourdough English muffins, raspberry pancakes, or banana cranberry muffins in the freezer is a big help but sometimes I just don’t have the room or the time to make them for the week.
Making oatmeal in the slow cooker overnight means that we have breakfast hot and waiting for us which is awesome all the way around! And oatmeal is simple enough to change up so it’s not the exact same thing if you want to have it twice in a week.
Steel cut oats have a nuttier flavor and a slightly different texture than regular oatmeal. It’s perfect for the slow cooker because of it’s longer cook time. I use a slow cooker which has a timer on it so I can set it on high for 4 hours and it automatically switches over to warm.
Some of our favorite mix-ins for oatmeal are jams, fruit compotes, and good old brown sugar. This time I was trying to make the oatmeal appeal to my husband who generally doesn’t like oatmeal. I used a cherry compote, chopped pistachios, and toasted coconut for a more adventurous oatmeal with greater texture. He told me later that it was “pretty good”. High praise indeed from my love. Ha ha.
This overnight Slow Cooker Oatmeal will quickly become one of your favorite easy crock pot recipes.
Be sure to check out these best slow cooker recipes of all time and my slow cooker tips and tricks.
My Favorite Slow Cooker Items
- My favorite slow cooker
- My favorite casserole slow cooker
- Disposable slow cooker liners (I can’t live without these!)
- Slow cooker travel bag
- Slow Cooker Essentials
My Favorite Slow Cooker Cookbooks
- Slow Cooker Revolution
- Fix It and Forget It Big Cookbook
- The Magical Slow Cooker: Recipes for Busy Moms
More Recipes You Might Like
Looking for more? Check out all of the best Slow Cooker recipes on It Is a Keeper.
⭐ Did you make this recipe? Please give it a star rating below! ⭐
Slow Cooker Overnight Steel Cut Oatmeal
- 1 cup steel cut oats
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 1/2 cups water
- 2 cups coconut milk
- 1 Tbsp coconut oil
- 1 1/2 tsp coconut extract
- 2 Tbsp honey - maple syrup, or brown sugar
- Cherry compote - cherry jam, or cherry pie filling
- Toasted coconut
- Chopped pistachios
- Combine oatmeal ingredients in slow cooker. Stir to mix and cook on high for 3-4 hours.
- Give oatmeal a good stir before serving. Top with desired toppings and additional coconut milk if desired.
- Want to scale a recipe up or down? Simply type in a new serving amount and the recipe will automatically adjust!
- When a recipe call for House Seasoning Blend, you can use this recipe or substitute salt and pepper to taste.
- I always use unsalted butter in my recipes.
- I always use a meat thermometor to test for doneness when cooking meat. This one is my favorite.
- When a recipe is made in the oven, it should be pre-heated to the temperature in the recipe, unless otherwise noted.
- The nutritional information provided in this recipe is an estimate. Learn more on how I calculate nutritional information for my recipes.