This is one of my favorite broccoli salad recipes. It’s bursting with fresh citrus flavor and packed full of crunchy broccoli goodness.
This post was sponsored by Green Giant as part of an Influencer Activation for Influence Central and all opinions expressed in my post are my own.
Citrus Broccoli Salad Recipes
My family eats a lot of broccoli. We love it cooked, raw, in soups, anyway you want to make it, we love it.
I’ve even used it in broccoli salad recipes, like this one, but I thought it would be fun to put a citrusy twist on it this time.
One thing I love about this fresh broccoli salad is the different textures. You have the tender broccoli, the soft citrus and crunchy jicama.
How to Make this Fresh Broccoli Salad
This easy Citrus Broccoli Salad is a combination of finely chopped broccoli (I have a secret trick to make this easy), shredded carrots, red onion, pieces of fresh oranges and slivers of jicama.
If you’re wondering what jicama is, it’s a crispy, sweet, edible root from South America. It’s flavor is very delicate and it’s perfect in salads.
They look like a big, brown root ball. They are definitely not a pretty piece of produce. But, it has a sweet, pleasant taste with an apple-like texture. It’s perfect for this salad.
If you can’t find jicama, you can always substitute a Red Delicious apple in place of the jicama. But, don’t be afraid…give the jicama a try!
I just love the way all of the flavors come together with a bright, citrus vinaigrette. It’s tart and tangy with just a hint of sweetness.
The Secret to this Best Ever Broccoli Salad
One of my secrets to making this easy and fresh Broccoli Salad is make sure your vegetables are finely chopped. Nobody wants to bite down a big piece of onion or chomp away on a hunk of carrot.
The easiest way I’ve found to get the veggies into uniform, fine pieces, is to grate them. I grate the carrot, jicama and onion using the large grates on my box grater. This way, I get nice little pieces that combine really well.
My second, and favorite, trick is use Green Giant Riced Broccoli in lieu of fresh broccoli.
You can find it in the frozen section of your grocery store. They have several varieties of riced veggies including broccoli, cauliflower, beets and more!
They come in their own self steaming bag that can go from the freezer to the microwave. And, in just 6 minutes, you have hot, cooked riced veggies. No waste. No prep. No clean up.
I love that the veggies don’t come pre-seasoned. This way I can control what seasoning is added and the amount of salt I use. They are a great gluten free, low-calorie food. And, they have up to 85% fewer calories than the leading brand of white rice.
You can download a $1.00 off coupon to try Green Giant Riced Veggies here.
You can also enter to win one of ten (10) Prize Packs, consisting of a $50 gift card and 10 full-value product coupons, per person between now and Monday, August 27. Enter here:
I-C will randomly select winners from all program entries and will facilitate fulfillment of the winning prizes
Expert Tips for Making this Classic Broccoli Salad
Here are some of my tips that help make this recipe easy
- Use Green Giant Riced Broccoli instead of chopping fresh broccoli.
- Use a box grater to shred the rest of the veggies in the salad.
- Make the dressing in a mason jar so you can just shake and pour.
- If you can’t find jicama, substitute a Red Delicious apple in its place.
What to Serve with Citrus Broccoli Salad
This Citrus Broccoli Salad recipes goes perfectly with so many dishes. I like to serve it with:
More Salad Recipes You Might Like
- Broccoli Bacon Salad
- Creamy Broccoli Slaw
- Kale and Brussels Sprouts Salad
- Brussels Sprouts Apple Salad
Looking for more? Check out all of the salad recipes on It Is a Keeper.
⭐ Did you make this recipe? Please give it a star rating below! ⭐
Citrus Broccoli Salad
- 1 package Green Giant Riced Broccoli (or 2 cups)
- 1 cup shredded carrots
- 1 cup shredded jicama see note
- 1/4 cup shredded red onion
- 2 oranges
- 1/2 cup cilantro finely minced
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 2 teaspoons orange zest
- pinch salt
- Place all of the ingredients into a small jar and shake until thoroughly combined.
- Set aside.
- Microwave package of Green Giant Rice Broccoli on high for 3 minutes.
- Remove from microwave and allow to cool.
- Meanwhile, shred the carrots, jicama and onion on the large grate side of a box grater.
- Peel oranges and separate into segments; cut segments into bite sized pieces.
- Place broccoli, carrots, jicama, onion, oranges and cilantro into a bowl; Toss until combined.
- Pour vinaigrette over salad, toss until salad is completely coated in the dressing.
- Cover and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes.
Estimated Nutritional Information
The nutritional information provided are estimates. To learn more about how I calculate this information go to www.itisakeeper.com/about-its-a-keeper/privacy-disclosure-policies/