These hearty whole wheat pancakes are a great way to start the day when you’re watching what you eat.
Most mornings, we have a simple breakfast before we jump into our day. There usually isn’t time for much more.
But, on the weekends, when we have more time in the morning, I do like to cook breakfast for my family. Once I have a chance to wake up, that is.
One of my new favorite things to make for breakfast are these Blueberry Whole Wheat Pancakes.
Disclosure: I received product in exchange for this post. Feel free to read my disclosure statement. All opinions shared are my own and not influenced by other sources.
I love that they are made with good-for-you ingredients like wheat flour, flax and oats. And, oh yeah, blueberries – my favorite super-food!
Unfortunately, blueberry season is only a few short weeks long, so during the off season, I use Driscoll’s berries. Driscoll’s is passionate about growing premium fresh berries. And, they should know…their family farm has been growing them for over 100 years.
Driscoll’s berries are are sweet, juicy and naturally wholesome. And, the best part is, they are readily available all year long at your grocery store.
I love the cinnamon in this recipe, too. It adds a warm, homey taste – just like Blueberry Pie.
These whole wheat pancakes are extremely hearty so they fill you up fast.
Keep in mind, the batter is much thicker than traditional pancake batter. If it’s too thick for you, you may want to thin it with a little more milk.
The baking powder in this recipe is what makes them fluffy. Make sure that your baking powder is fresh, though, or your pancakes won’t fluff up. Not sure if yours is fresh? Check out my video for an easy (and cool!) trick to check the freshness.
I can personally attest that these pancakes are just as good when reheated the next day, too. I just popped them in the toaster and breakfast was ready in a few minutes!
You might want to make a double batch for hectic weekdays!
Whether you eats them hot off the griddle or reheated in the toaster, these are some serious breakfast eats!
Whole Wheat Blueberry Pancakes
- 1 1/3 cup whole wheat flour
- 4 Tbsp ground flax
- 1/2 cup rolled oats
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- 3 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 2 tsp vanilla
- 1 1/2 cups milk
- 4 Tbsp canola oil
- 1 1/2 cup fresh blueberries
- Stir together dry ingredients.
- In a separate bowl, combine milk, vanilla and oil.
- Add wet ingredients to dry ingredients. Batter will be thick.
- Carefully fold in blueberries.
- Pour batter onto greased skillet or griddle using approximately 1/4 cup for each pancake.
- Brown on both sides and serve hot.
- Want to scale a recipe up or down? Simply type in a new serving amount and the recipe will automatically adjust!
- When a recipe call for House Seasoning Blend, you can use this recipe or substitute salt and pepper to taste.
- I always use unsalted butter in my recipes.
- I always use a meat thermometor to test for doneness when cooking meat. This one is my favorite.
- When a recipe is made in the oven, it should be pre-heated to the temperature in the recipe, unless otherwise noted.
- The nutritional information provided in this recipe is an estimate. Learn more on how I calculate nutritional information for my recipes.