This Slow Cooker Chicken Cacciatore is a hearty, slow cooked Italian chicken main dish with tomatoes, onions, garlic, and red and green bell peppers, served over pasta. This is one of the best slow cooker chicken recipes.
It is almost that time. Do you hear the school bells ringing yet? Some have already started. Others will start soon. Even though it is still scorching hot outside, the kids are heading back to school. So you are busy carpooling, buying school supplies, running kids back and forth for this year’s soccer, band practice, or other extra curricular activity they are participating in this year.
That means you have no time to spend preparing a weeknight meal. That is why this Slow Cooker Chicken Cacciatore is a perfect end of summer, back to school meal. First you can throw all the ingredients in the slow cooker before you leave for the day; and second, it does not heat up the kitchen.
However, the best aspect of this Slow Cooker Chicken Cacciatore is when you come in the door at the end of the day, and everyone is greeted by the amazing aroma of the slow cooked chicken, tomatoes, onions, and peppers, and you realize dinner is ready!!
With the slow cooked Italian flavors, your family with love this Slow Cooker Chicken Cacciatore.
Be sure to check out these best slow cooker recipes of all time and my slow cooker tips and tricks.
My Favorite Slow Cooker Items
- My favorite slow cooker
- My favorite casserole slow cooker
- Disposable slow cooker liners (I can’t live without these!)
- Slow cooker travel bag
- Slow Cooker Essentials
My Favorite Slow Cooker Cookbooks
- Slow Cooker Revolution
- Fix It and Forget It Big Cookbook
- The Magical Slow Cooker: Recipes for Busy Moms
More Easy Recipes You May Enjoy
Get even more of the best slow cooker recipes of all time on my Slow Cooker Pinterest board.
Slow Cooker Chicken Cacciatore
- 1 medium onion rough chopped
- 1 red bell pepper rough chopped
- 1 green bell pepper rough chopped
- 1 cup sliced mushrooms optional
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 6 boneless skinless chicken thighs OR 1 whole cut-up chicken
- 1 14 ounce diced tomatoes with basil,garlic, and onion
- 1- 28 oz ounce crushed tomatoes
- 1/8 teaspoon crushed red pepper or adjust to taste
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- Place the onions in the bottom of the crockpot. Add the peppers, mushrooms, and garlic on top of the onions. Lay the chicken over the vegetables. Add the diced and crushed tomatoes. Cover and cook on low setting for about 6 hours or until the chicken and vegetables are thoroughly cooked. Serve over the hot pasta.
Estimated Nutritional Information
The nutritional information provided are estimates. To learn more about how I calculate this information go to www.itisakeeper.com/about-its-a-keeper/privacy-disclosure-policies/
For more creative recipes with a mosaic of flavors, visit Flavor Mosaic for recipes like Slow Cooker Chicken Marrakesh or Cheesy Tomatillo Verde Sour Cream Chicken Enchiladas.
Thank you, Christina, for including me in It is a Keeper’s Slow Cookin’ Summer Series!
This recipe was part of my Slow Cookin’ Summer Series. Several bloggers and I shared 12 weeks of slow cooker recipes so you didn’t have to heat up your kitchen during the dog days of summer.