Welcome to my Tailgating BBQ series! From September 15-30, I’ll be sharing grilled recipes that are perfect for tailgating. Each day there will be a new grilled recipe posted to give you inspiration and help build your collection of easy tailgating recipes.
Plus, and this is the really exciting part, one lucky reader will win this amazing Napoleon PRO285 TravelQ grill! Here’s how to enter…
Let’s keep the Tailgating BBQ Series going with this recipe from Lauren from Wicked Spatula. Here’s her recipe:
When I think about tailgating I think of grills, hotdogs and hamburgers. I wanted to kick that up a notch and introduce fish burgers to the tailgating world. I doubt you’ll be disappointed.
With pineapple and grilled avocado you can’t go wrong. It’s seriously like the best thing ever. I can’t even describe how good it is. The creaminess of the avocado along with the charred bits from grilling it is a match made in food heaven. In my opinion the more charred the better.
This recipe is featured in the fall issue of Grilled Magazine for the Gameday Series. Each recipe was paired with a team and this burger happened to be paired with the Seattle Seahawks!
We love salmon and it holds up great to being grilled and thrown on a bun with loads of other toppings. Not to mention that salmon, and all the protein and omega-3s that it offers, will help to keep your heart and mind happy and healthy much more than a greasy burger would. Don’t get me wrong I LOVE a greasy burger every now and then! Check out my Aloha Omaha Burger for a combination of my love of beef and fish! If you like sushi you’ll love that burger!
Just look at that burger! Now I’m not gonna lie you may need an entire roll of paper towels…and maybe a bib to eat this burger. It is messy but is it oh so worth it. The sweetness of the pineapple plays perfectly with the heat of the jalapeno. I wanted a sauce that would compliment the fish without overpowering it. I though about BBQ sauce, teriyaki, and even chipotle but none of them seemed right.
Then it hit me…lime mayonnaise. I’ve been on a lime
kick obsession recently and I just can’t stop. Throw in some cilantro and garlic and you’ve got the perfect sauce for the burger.
To serve this burger at a tailgating party I would suggest using a food grade paper, such as parchement, to wrap the burger in. As you can see in the pictures these are quite juicy.
- 1 lb salmon skin removed (I use a full lb for two servings but you can totally cut it down to 4 ounces per serving)
- 3 tablespoons of your favorite seasoning...Jerk cajun, etc. (I used a sweet and spicy lime and jalapeno mix from my local store)
- 2 slices fresh pineapple
- 1 jalapeno thinly sliced
- 1 avocado sliced
- Butter Lettuce
- 2 burger buns toasted
For the Cilantro Lime Mayonnaise:
- 4 tablespoons lime juice
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1/2 teaspoon Sriracha
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1 cup cilantro
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- Salt and Pepper to taste
Cilantro Lime Mayonnaise
- In a food processor blend all ingredients except mayonnaise until finely minced.
- Stir in mayonnaise and refrigerate while preparing other items.
- Season salmon with your spices on both sides.
- Brush pineapple and avocado lightly with olive oil.
- Grill salmon for 10-12 minutes or until you reach your desired doneness. While the salmon is grilling also grill the pineapple and avocado. Avocado will be done in about 5-7 minutes so keep a close eye on them. Pineapple will be done with salmon
- Spread mayonnaise on both sides of the toasted burger buns.
- Place toppings down in the following order: Lettuce, avocado, salmon, pineapple, jalapeno.
The nutritional information provided are estimates. To learn more about how I calculate this information go to www.itisakeeper.com/about-its-a-keeper/privacy-disclosure-policies/
Thanks so much for sharing your great recipe, Lauren! If you like this recipe, please pin it or share it! And, of course make sure you subscribe to It’s a Keeper so you don’t miss a single one!
You can find all of the Tailgating BBQ series recipes here. And, of course, make sure you enter the Napoleon grill giveaway!
Have you been to or had a Tailgate BBQ before? What was the most memorable food you tried?
For more recipe inspiration, be sure to check out these pages on It’s a Keeper: