The day after Christmas is one of the busiest shopping days of the year. Shoppers are making returns and looking for the killer deals. Here are some tips to help you get the most out of your shopping day!
What’s On Sale
- Apparel – especially winter merchandise. And, don’t forget to think about what sizes your kids will be wearing next year. You can pick up some holiday clothing now for next year.
- Holiday items — wrap, cards, decorations, tableware, etc.
- Gift sets
- Food items — candy, baking supplies, holiday foods
- Holiday craft supplies
- Electronic accessories
- Fitness gear
Best Places to Find Deals
- Department Stores
- Discount/Big Box stores
- Drug Stores
- Online — Amazon has GREAT deals! Check out their sales here. And, don’t forget to sign up and use your Ebates account to earn cash back on your online purchases.
- Check the clothing, toys, electronics sections of store for deals on opened packages. If a package isn’t in pristine condition, the stores may want to sell it at a deep discount.
- Check out this website to find out what deals your favorite stores will be offering.
Making Post-Holiday Returns
- Make a list of where you need to go. Use this printable to keep yourself organized.
- Try to have all products in original packaging, including any tags.
- Have your receipts — especially if you are looking for cash back. Many stores will give store credit for the lowest marked price if you don’t have a receipt.
- You can even return gift cards! Check out this site to unload any gift cards you may not want.
- Be prepared to wait in line. The stores will be jam packed.
Making the Most of Your Shopping Trip
- Start by making a list of where you want to shop, what you need to buy and what you need to return. Scroll down to the bottom of this post for a handy printable.
- Have a battle plan — many stores will be extremely busy.
- Know where you want to go. If you’re eyeing up something in particular, go there first!
- Keep your eye out for coupons. Check newspapers, mail, email and online. Check out this site to find out what deals you
- Shop for upcoming occasions. Red items can be used for Valentine’s Day, green items can be used for St. Patrick’s Day, solid color item can be used for birthdays and other occasions.
Watch my Holiday Shopping TV Segment
I shared a bunch of my best tips and tricks with Ryan Leckey on the WNEP morning news (my local ABC affiliate) recently. Check out the clips here!
Here’s a handy sales & returns planning printable for you to use.
More Posts You Might Like