Kick up the flavor of basic macaroni and cheese by making this Southwest Mac & Cheese.
Did you know that you can turn ordinary mac and cheese into a hearty meal?
I added classic Southwest flavors to my mac and cheese and turned into a easy, meatless meal that left me full and satisfied.
I started with corn, red bell pepper, pablano pepper and onion. Then I added some black beans for protein.
The result was an incredible dish that really packed in the flavor.
I added these mix-ins to a box of Horizon Organic Mac & Cheese.
I loved the little shell shaped pasta and creamy white cheddar sauce. It was the perfect base for my kicked up mix-ins.
Horizon Mac & Cheese is the dinner trifecta — great ingredients, delicious taste and convenience.
This recipe makes a great meatless dinner or easy lunch. My 8 year old gobbled it up and asked for seconds. That’s when I knew I had a keeper on my hands!
If you’re looking for even more recipe inspiration for your mac and cheese, check out the Horizon MAC-N-ATOR, the mac and cheese recipe generator that will surprise and delight your family, while making your life (a little) easier!
- 1 box of Horizon Organic Mac & Cheese, prepared
- 1 cup frozen corn
- 1/2 cup red bell pepper, diced
- 1/2 cup pablano pepper, diced
- 1/4 cup onion, diced
- 1/2 cup black beans, rinsed
- 1/4 cup water
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- In a large non-stick skillet, placed corn, peppers, onions, black beans and water.
- Season with salt and pepper and cumin.
- Simmer for 10 minutes over medium heat until peppers and onions soften and corn thaws.
- Remove from skillet and add to prepared Mac & Cheese.
- Serve immediately.
This is a sponsored conversation written by me on behalf of Horizon Organic. The opinions and text are all mine.