Sausage and Apple Stuffing
Prep Time15 mins
Cook Time30 mins
Total Time45 mins
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 pound Hatfield Italian sausage
- 1 cup diced celery
- 1/2 cup diced onion
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh thyme
- 2 teaspoons poultry seasoning - this is my favorite homemade recipe
- 2 Granny Smith apples - peeled and diced
- 8 cups dried Italian bread cubes
- 1 cup dried cranberries
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans
- 2 cups turkey stock
- 1 egg
- Salt and pepper to taste
In a large skillet over medium high heat, cook sausage, making sure to break it up into fine pieces.
Cook for about 5 minutes then add celery and onions; continue cooking until sausage is no longer pink.
Add thyme, poultry seasoning and apples; stir to combine.
Cook for an additional 5 minutes to soften apples a bit.
Meanwhile, place dried bread cubes in a large bowl.
Stir in cranberries and pecans.
Add sausage and apple mixture to bread cubes; stir to combine.
Taste for seasoning; add salt and pepper as needed.
Whisk egg into turkey stock and pour over bread cubes; stir to combine.
Place mixture in a buttered baking dish.
Bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes.
Copyright 2019 It Is a Keeper (www.itisakeeper.com). All rights reserved.
- When a recipe call for House Seasoning Blend, you can find the recipe on www.itisakeeper.com. Simply search for "House Seasoning Blend" or you can substitute salt and pepper to taste.
- I always use unsalted butter in my recipes.
- I always use a meat thermometor to test for doneness when cooking meat.
- When a recipe is made in the oven, it should be pre-heated to the temperature in the recipe, unless otherwise noted.