Split Peas Soup with Spicy Croutons
Prep Time4 hrs
Cook Time15 mins
Total Time4 hrs 15 mins
Servings: 2 servings
Split Pea Soup
- 1 cup dried split peas
- 3 cups water
- Salt & black pepper to taste
- 1/2 tbs garlic powder
- 2 celery stalks - sliced
- 3 tbs heavy cream
Put split peas into slow cooker
Cover with water (make sure that the water is more than covering the peas)
Cook on low for 4 hours (or high for 2)
Heat cast iron pan
Saute celery until translucent.
Add split peas from slow cooker
Add salt, pepper and garlic powder
Let simmer on low for 10 - 15 minutes; Keep an eye so that water does not dry out
Crush split peas to desired consistency
Add heavy cream and stir
Pour soup into bowls
Top with croutons
Heat oven to 400 degrees
Cut bread slices into bite size pieces.
Toss with olive oil, black pepper, salt and red pepper flakes
Lay out on baking sheet
Bake for 15 minutes
Copyright 2019 It Is a Keeper (www.itisakeeper.com). All rights reserved.
- When a recipe call for House Seasoning Blend, you can find the recipe on www.itisakeeper.com. Simply search for "House Seasoning Blend" or you can substitute salt and pepper to taste.
- I always use unsalted butter in my recipes.
- I always use a meat thermometor to test for doneness when cooking meat.
- When a recipe is made in the oven, it should be pre-heated to the temperature in the recipe, unless otherwise noted.