Pig Pickin Cake
Prep Time20 mins
Cook Time30 mins
Total Time50 mins
- 1 box white cake mix
- 1 cup water
- 1/3 cups oil
- 4 egg whites
- 1 8 oz can mandarin oranges
- 16 oz Frozen Whipped Topping - thawed
- 20 oz canned crushed pineapple
- 5.1 oz instant vanilla pudding
Preheat oven according to box directions.
Grease and flour two round cake pans.
Follow the instructions on the cake mix EXCEPT for the water.
Pour juice from the can of oranges into a measuring cup.
Add enough water to the mandarin orange juice to meet the required "water" measurement.
Add to cake mix.
Once cake batter is mixed fold in the drained can of mandarin oranges and mix to break up orange bits.
Bake according to package directions.
Whisk crushed pineapple with packet of instant vanilla pudding.
Fold in half of the whipped topping until incorporated; Once combined, add the remaining half and fold until combined.
Once all the cool whip is folded in, refrigerate until cakes are cooled and ready for frosting.
After your cake is cooled, frost the top of the first layer and the second cake and frost the remaining cake heavily.
You can leave it just like that or you can top it with strawberries, pineapple, mandarin oranges and so on.
Copyright 2019 It Is a Keeper (www.itisakeeper.com). All rights reserved.
- Go a little nuts: Try adding some crushed nuts to the frosting to up your flavor profile
- Decorate with different fruits: Use your imagination and try using blueberries, strawberries or whatever your family likes to decorate your Pig Pickin Cake.
- Less liquid helps: When making the icing, make sure the pineapple is well drained and fairly dry to keep it firm.
- When a recipe call for House Seasoning Blend, you can find the recipe on www.itisakeeper.com. Simply search for "House Seasoning Blend" or you can substitute salt and pepper to taste.
- I always use unsalted butter in my recipes.
- I always use a meat thermometor to test for doneness when cooking meat.
- When a recipe is made in the oven, it should be pre-heated to the temperature in the recipe, unless otherwise noted.