Slow Cooker Italian Meatballs in Spicy Tomato Sauce
Prep Time20 mins
Cook Time7 hrs
Total Time7 hrs 20 mins
Servings: 5 servings
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1 lb mild Italian sausage
- 4 cloves garlic - finely diced
- 1/2 red onion - finely diced
- 1/2 carrot - shredded
- 1 celery stalk - shredded (I use a food processor to shred.)
- 2 eggs - beaten
- 1/2 cup almond flour - almond meal
- 3 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon chipotle chili pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
Spicy Tomato Sauce:
- 1 15 oz can fire roasted tomatoes
- 1 6 oz can tomato paste
- 2 cloves garlic - finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons fresh basil - chopped
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 3/4 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon dried rosemary
- dash of salt and pepper
Mix ground beef and sausage into a large mixing bowl. (When it comes to ground meat, using your hands is honestly the best way to mix well!)
In a separate small bowl, combine all the remaining ingredients EXCEPT for the eggs. Mix thoroughly.
Add contents of the small bowl into the large mixing bowl. Mix well.
Add eggs and continue to mix, and don't be afraid to use your hands.
Roll mixture into meatballs, about two tablespoons each, and place at the bottom of your slow cooker.
In a medium sized mixing bowl, combine all tomato sauce ingredients together and mix well.
Pour tomato sauce on top of meatballs in the slow cooker.
Cook on high for 4 hours or on low for 8 hours. (My slow cooker cooks a little too quickly, so if yours is like mine, then I'd cut the time down to 3.5 hours on high and 6-7 hours on low.
Serve over pasta, zucchini noodles, spaghetti squash, or a salad!
Copyright 2019 It Is a Keeper (www.itisakeeper.com). All rights reserved.
- When a recipe call for House Seasoning Blend, you can find the recipe on www.itisakeeper.com. Simply search for "House Seasoning Blend" or you can substitute salt and pepper to taste.
- I always use unsalted butter in my recipes.
- I always use a meat thermometor to test for doneness when cooking meat.
- When a recipe is made in the oven, it should be pre-heated to the temperature in the recipe, unless otherwise noted.