The Best Blueberry Coffee Cake
Prep Time15 mins
Cook Time50 mins
Total Time1 hr 5 mins
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup shortening
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/2 cup milk
- 2 cups flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups fresh blueberries - cleaned
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup flour
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 cup butter - softened
Preheat oven to 375 degrees and butter and flour a 9x9 baking dish.
In a large mixing bowl, cream together sugar and shortening.
Stir in vanilla, egg and milk until combined.
Sift together flour, baking powder and salt.
Add dry ingredients into the wet ingredients and stir until just combined. Be careful not to over-mix the batter.
Gently fold in the blueberries.
Pour batter into prepared 9x9 baking dish.
In a medium bowl, combine remaining sugar, flour, cinnamon and butter.
Blend together with a fork until all of the ingredients are crumbly.
Sprinkle the cinnamon mixture over top of the cake batter.
Bake for 45-50 minutes, or until a cake tester inserted into the center of the cake comes out clean.
Copyright 2019 It Is a Keeper (www.itisakeeper.com). All rights reserved.
- When a recipe call for House Seasoning Blend, you can find the recipe on www.itisakeeper.com. Simply search for "House Seasoning Blend" or you can substitute salt and pepper to taste.
- I always use unsalted butter in my recipes.
- I always use a meat thermometor to test for doneness when cooking meat.
- When a recipe is made in the oven, it should be pre-heated to the temperature in the recipe, unless otherwise noted.