The Perfect Blueberry Pie
Prep Time40 mins
Cook Time50 mins
Total Time1 hr 30 mins
Servings: 8 slices
- 12 tablespoons ice-cold butter - cut into 1 inch pieces
- 3 cups flour
- 1 teaspoons salt
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1/2 cup vegetable shortening
- 1/3 cup ice water
Blueberry Pie Filling
- 4 cups fresh blueberries
- 1/4 cup instant tapioca
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon butter
Add the flour, salt and sugar to the bowl of a food processor fitted with the steel blade.
Pulse 2-3 times to mix. A
dd the butter and shortening.
Pulse 8-10 times or until the butter is the size of peas.
With the processor running, add the water slowly until the dough begins to form a ball.
Dump dough out onto a floured surface and roll into a ball.
Wrap in plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes.
Cut the dough in half.
On a floured surface, roll each half into a circle.
Roll from the center to the edge, turning regularly to make sure it doesn’t stick.
Roll the dough circle around rolling pin and transfer to a pie plate.
Unroll the dough to fit the pan. Repeat with the top crust.
Blueberry Pie Filling
In a large bowl combine berries, tapioca, sugar, lemon juice and cinnamon.
Let stand for 15 minutes.
Pour berry mixture into prepared pie crust.
Dot butter on top of berries.
Place second pie crust on top of berries.
Make an egg wash by whisking 1 egg with 1 tablespoon of milk or cream.
Brush the egg wash over the top and sides of the crust.
This will make a nice brown, shiny crust.
You can also sprinkle sanding sugar crystals on top of the egg wash.
Bake at 400 degrees for 45-50 minutes.
Copyright 2019 It Is a Keeper (www.itisakeeper.com). All rights reserved.
- When a recipe call for House Seasoning Blend, you can find the recipe on www.itisakeeper.com. Simply search for "House Seasoning Blend" or you can substitute salt and pepper to taste.
- I always use unsalted butter in my recipes.
- I always use a meat thermometor to test for doneness when cooking meat.
- When a recipe is made in the oven, it should be pre-heated to the temperature in the recipe, unless otherwise noted.