Roasted Smashed Potatoes
Prep Time5 mins
Cook Time1 hr 25 mins
- 2 pounds Small Red Potatoes
- 6 Tablespoons Olive Oil
- 3/4 cup water
- 1 teaspoon fresh thyme leaves - chopped
- Salt - To Taste
- Pepper - To Taste
Adjust oven racks to top and bottom positions and heat oven to 500 degrees.
Arrange potatoes on rimmed baking sheet.
Pour ¾ cup water into baking sheet, and wrap tightly with aluminum foil.
Cook on bottom rack until paring knife or skewer slips in and out of potatoes easily (poke through foil to test), 25 to 30 minutes.
Remove foil and cool 10 minutes. If any water remains on baking sheet, blot dry with paper towel.
Drizzle 3 tablespoons oil over potatoes and roll to coat.
Space potatoes evenly on baking sheet and place second baking sheet on top; press down firmly on baking sheet, flattening potatoes until 1/3 to 1/2 inch thick.
Sprinkle with thyme leaves and season generously with salt and pepper; drizzle evenly with remaining 3 tablespoons oil.
Roast potatoes on top rack 15 minutes.
Transfer potatoes to bottom rack and continue to roast until well browned, 20 to 30 minutes longer. Serve immediately.
Copyright 2019 It Is a Keeper (www.itisakeeper.com). All rights reserved.
- Try Different Herbs: I use fresh thyme but try garlic, rosemary or crushed red pepper flakes.
- This Recipe Can be Doubled: This is a great recipe for a crowd. Simply increase the ingredients proportionately and split it into two baking dishes before baking.
- Use Cheese: Cheese always makes things better, So use parmesan, cheddar or any of your favorites!
- Top Your Roasted Smashed Potatoes: Try Sour Cream, Greek Yogurt or a soft cheese spread.
- When a recipe call for House Seasoning Blend, you can find the recipe on www.itisakeeper.com. Simply search for "House Seasoning Blend" or you can substitute salt and pepper to taste.
- I always use unsalted butter in my recipes.
- I always use a meat thermometor to test for doneness when cooking meat.
- When a recipe is made in the oven, it should be pre-heated to the temperature in the recipe, unless otherwise noted.