The BEST Sausage & Peppers
Prep Time10 mins
Cook Time50 mins
Total Time1 hr
Servings: 6 servings
- 1 ring of hot Italian sausage
- 1 ring of sweet Italian sausage
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 6 bell peppers - sliced (I use assorted colors)
- 2 large onions - sliced
- 8 cloves of garlic - thinly sliced
- 3 28 oz cans of crushed tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons dried oregano
- 2 leaves bay
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1/2 cup parmesan cheese - grated
Cut sausage into 2 inch chunks.
Heat olive oil in a large skillet.
Brown sausage over medium high heat. You may have to do this multiple batches to avoid over-crowding the pan.
Remove sausage from skillet and add peppers and onions.
Saute until cooked through and slightly charred.
During the last 2 minutes of cooking, add garlic.
Transfer sausage, peppers, onions and garlic to a stock pot.
Add crushed tomatoes, oregano, bay leaves, salt and pepper.
Simmer for 30 minutes or until sauce has thickened slightly.
Stir in parmesan cheese and simmer for 10 minutes more.
Copyright 2019 It Is a Keeper (www.itisakeeper.com). All rights reserved.
- When a recipe call for House Seasoning Blend, you can find the recipe on www.itisakeeper.com. Simply search for "House Seasoning Blend" or you can substitute salt and pepper to taste.
- I always use unsalted butter in my recipes.
- I always use a meat thermometor to test for doneness when cooking meat.
- When a recipe is made in the oven, it should be pre-heated to the temperature in the recipe, unless otherwise noted.