Italian Seasoning substitute mix is a staple in everyone’s house, I bet. The reason? That combination of essential flavors that just brings a dish to life.
Vita is Italian for life. This Italian Seasoning Substitute Mix will bring “vita” not just to your Italian dishes but to almost anything that you season. France has their herbs de provence, there are greek seasoning and creole seasoning but this recipe has to be my most reached for.
How long do spices last? Find out here.
MORE SPICE RECIPES YOU MIGHT LIKE
What We Love About This Recipe
You really have to love a good Italian Seasoning Mix. It brings that added umph that takes a dish from bland to bam! You will love this mix because it is economical, delicious and adjustable.
- 5 Minutes: A quick and easy blend made to your taste.
- Easy Ingredients: All found in pantry.
- Family Friendly: It is customizable to your families’ tastes, not a generic blend..
- Makes Great Gifts: Place in a beautiful jar and give as a hostess or housewarming gift.
Ingredient Seasoning Ingredients
- Dried Basil: You will need three tablespoons of basil.
- Dried Oregano: Any oregano you enjoy. There are many varieties.
- Dried Parsley: Again, use curly, flat leaf whatever you have.
- Granulated Garlic: A true Italian staple. Garlic powder can also be used.
- Granulated Onion: One teaspoon or onion powder.
- Dried Rosemary: So aromatic and flavorful.
- Dried Thyme: Only a teaspoon, a little goes a long way.
- Black Pepper: White pepper will work well too.
- Bay Leaves: Three of these leaves.
How to Make Dried Italian Seasoning
These are the basic steps for making dried italian herbs. Please refer to the recipe card below for more detailed instructions and nutrition information.
First, place all of the ingredients into the bowl of a food processor and then pulse until bay leaves are finely chopped. Next, transfer mixture to a spice jar for storage and use in your favorite recipes.
Prep and Storage Tips for Spice Blend
HOW TO MAKE THIS RECIPE AHEAD OF TIME
Truly, that is the point, simply make and store in an airtight jar and use whenever you need to add a little spice to your dishes.
HOW TO STORE THIS HOMEMADE ITALIAN SEASONING RECIPE
Any container that you have for the amount that you made. Above all, it has to be airtight to keep your herbs at their optimum.
HOW TO MAKE YOUR OWN DRIED HERBS
Of course you can grown your own fresh herbs and spices then dry them and grind them. However, it is is not necessary.
Frequently Asked Questions about Italian Seasoning Packet
This recipe is salt free so that you can adjust the salt content as you require, however, feel free to add the amounts of seasoning that you enjoy to make this blend your own.
Indeed, that is the point of creating your own special blend. For example: use dried marjoram or sage, fennel seed or mint.
Of course, make the quantity that you believe that you will need.
Perfect for pizza, soups, salad dressings, pasta sauces, beans, burgers or whatever you want a savory flavor boost in.
Expert Tips for Making This Favorite Italian Seasoning Substitute Recipe
- Add Heat: Red Pepper Flakes or cayenne pepper, or paprika really give a little kick.
- Dates: Check the dates to insure that your spices are fresh and mark the good by date on your jar.
- Variation tip: Want to know what the flavor profile of each herb is? Check out this handy guide.
- Mini Grinder: Try a coffee grinder or mini food processor to grind your spices. There is no need to breakout the big one.
What to Serve with Favorite Italian Seasoning Substitute
Did you try this recipe?
⭐ Click below to leave a review and rating! ⭐
Favorite Italian Seasoning Substitute
- Place all of the ingredients into the bowl of a food processor.
- Pulse until bay leaves are finely chopped.
- Transfer mixture to a spice jar for storage and use in your favorite recipes.
- This Recipe Can be Doubled: Simply increase the ingredients proportionately and divided into air tight containers. They are great for gifts or bridal shower favors
- Herb Grinder: Use a herb grinder of food processor to blend
- Explore: Feel free to add as many different herb combinations that you like to make your own unique blend.
Estimated Nutritional Information
The nutritional information provided are estimates. To learn more about how I calculate this information go to www.itisakeeper.com/about-its-a-keeper/privacy-disclosure-policies/
This recipe is my personal adaption of an ethnic inspired recipe. It is not intended to be an authentic recipe. I’ve recreated this recipe because I enjoy the flavors and I want to encourage my readers to expand their tastes and try new flavor combinations. The recipe, ingredients and processes may have been adapted to make the recipe accessible for the average American. I have provided links to authentic versions of the recipe in the post above. I encourage you to visit these pages and learn more about the traditional version(s) of this recipe.