If you’re looking for an easy cookie recipe then these Forgotten Cookies are for you! These easy meringue cookies are as light as clouds and as sweet as can be!
This is my grandmother’s recipe. Back when she was able, she would make these cookies every Christmas. Because they are so light and airy, they would get gobbled up in no time. Sometimes, she would jazz them up by adding a little food coloring to the meringue mixture. Usually red and green for Christmas or pink and/or blue for baby showers.
Now that she’s older (94 this year!) she no longer bakes. But my mom, sister and I carry on the tradition by making her infamous Forgotten Cookies. It’s one of my favorite Christmas cookie recipes.
Oh, I almost forgot! I never told you where their odd name came from. Mammy dubbed these cookies her Forgotten Cookies because you put them in the oven and then forget about them. In fact, I didn’t even realize these were meringue cookies until I was older. I always knew them as Forgotten Cookies.
I hope you enjoy these gems as much as we do!
Need help with baking? Wondering why your cookies didn’t turn out the right way? Check out my Cookie Baking 101 post.
More Recipes You Might Like
- Chocolate Peanut Butter Kiss Cookies
- Norwegian Christmas Cookies
- Easy Peppermint Oreo Truffles
- Easy Snickerdoodle Cookies
Forgotten Meringue Cookies
- 2 egg whites, beaten until stiff peaks form
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 6 oz mini chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Grease cookie sheets.
- Beat egg whites until stiff peaks form.
- Add sugar, one teaspoonful at a time, while the mixer is running.
- Add salt and vanilla.
- Gently fold in chocolate chips.
- Drop by teaspoonfuls onto baking sheets.
- Turn oven off and place cookies in oven and forget about them for 4-5 hours or overnight.