This Crock Pot Chicken Pot Pie is an easy twist on a comfort food classic. Made with juicy chicken, carrots, and celery, and topped with a buttery biscuit crust, this savory pie is both simple and delicious.
Crock Pot Tips and Tricks
There are lots of amazing recipes you can make with a crockpot or slow cooker- and lots of great ways to make the most of this versatile kitchen device! For instance, you can line your crock pot with aluminum foil or parchment paper to make it easier to lift the food out once it’s done, or preheat it to reduce your cooking time.
Why This Slow Cooker Chicken Pot Pie Recipe is a Keeper
Make this classic chicken pot pie without an oven for an easy dinner! Here are some more reasons you’ll love this great recipe:
- Easy Prep: You will love this easy chicken pot pie recipe. Although this recipe takes a long time to cook, it only takes ten minutes to prep. Start it early in the day so you have a delicious, warm meal ready by dinnertime.
- Simple Ingredients: All of the ingredients in this crock pot recipe can likely be found in your kitchen or local grocery store.
- Family Friendly: Kids are sure to love this easy crock pot chicken pot pie- and the recipe is easily adjustable for picky eaters! Low and slow is the best way to make this recipe.
- Leftover Chicken Pot Pie: Leftover slow cooker chicken pot pie is wonderful for lunch when we top with biscuits.
What is the Best Way to Thicken the Pot Pie Gravy?
To thicken the gravy, just add a little cornstarch or flour until it’s at your desired level of thickness. You may also use heavy cream or whipping cream.
Chicken Pot Pie Ingredient Notes for Easy Slow Cooker Meal
This creamy chicken pot pie tastes and smells amazing, with all the flavors of home. Here are some notable ingredients you’ll need to make this amazing dinner recipe:
- Chicken Breasts: Use boneless, skinless chicken breasts in this crockpot chicken pot pie recipe. Chicken thighs work as well.
- Cream of Chicken Soup: This creamy chicken broth will give your pie filling a smooth texture and rich chicken flavor.
- Biscuits: Use refrigerated biscuits to make a flaky pie crust. If there are any left over, store the biscuits in an airtight container to use later. You can use storebought biscuits, or bake the biscuits yourself.
See the recipe card below for a complete list of the ingredients with measurements.
Variations and Substitutions for Easy Chicken Pot Pie in Crock Pot
- Instant Pot: In a hurry? Cook your pot pie in an instant pot instead.
- Fresh Herbs: Season your pot pie with fresh herbs, like rosemary or thyme.
- Rotisserie Chicken: You can use leftover rotisserie chicken for this easy chicken pot pie recipe, but since it’s already cooked, you may want to add it in after you’ve cooked the vegetables.
- Cream of Mushroom: Substitute cream of mushroom or cream of celery soup for cream of chicken for the chicken pot pie filling.
Special Equipment Needed for this Crock Pot Recipe
- Crock Pot: A crock pot or slow cooker may take some time to use, but it’ll leave you with tender, delicious chicken and soft cooked vegetables.
How to Make Crock Pot Chicken Pot Pie
These are the basic steps for making crock pot chicken pot pie recipe. Refer to the full, printable recipe card below for detailed instructions.
Step 1: Prep for this Slow Cooker Recipe
First, season both sides of the chicken breast with 1 teaspoon of all purpose seasoning blend. Next, place in a slow cooker insert liner. Then place chicken breasts, potatoes, carrots, celery, and onion in the slow cooker.
Step 2: Make Gravy
Next in a bowl, whisk together the chicken stock and cream of chicken soup. Pour over chicken into the slow cooker. Then add the remaining teaspoon of all purpose seasoning. Next, cook on low for 4 hours, or until chicken is cooked through.
Step 3: Add Ingredients for the Best Crock Pot Chicken Pot Pie
After 4 hours, add the peas, garlic and parsley. Add salt and pepper to taste. Cover and cook for 30 minutes. Then enjoy this chicken pot pie slow cooker recipe.
Step 4: Make Biscuit Separately for the Biscuit Crust
Meanwhile, bake biscuits according to the package directions. Finally, when the chicken is finished cooking, place prepared biscuits on top and remove the chicken pot pie from the crock pot.
Crockpot Chicken Pot Pie FAQs
Expert Tips for Making Chicken Pot Pie in the Crock Pot
- Frozen Vegetables: If you have frozen mixed vegetables on hand, you can use them to make crock pot chicken pot pie as well. However, you may need to thaw the frozen veggies before cooking. You can use frozen chicken too.
- Herbs and Spices: For more flavor, add some herbs and spices, like bay leaf, garlic salt, or even a dash of chili powder to this easy slow cooker chicken mixture.
- Leftover Chicken: If you have leftover chicken, you can use it to make chicken and dumplings as an easy recipe.
Crock Pot Chicken Pot Pie
- 4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 4 Russet potatoes, peeled and chopped into 1 inch pieces
- 1 cup diced carrots
- 1 cup diced celery
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 cups low sodium chicken stock
- 1 can cream of chicken soup
- 2 teaspoons All Purpose Seasoning Blend, divided
- 1 cup frozen or fresh peas
- 2 cloves garlic , minced
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley
- 1 can refrigerated canned biscuits, I prefer Southern Style
- Season both sides of the chicken breast with 1 teaspoon of All Purpose Seasoning Blend.
- Place the chicken, potatoes, carrots, celery and onion in the slow cooker.
- Cook on low for 4 hours or until chicken is cooked through.
- After 4 hours, add the peas, garlic and parsley. Cover and cook for 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, prepare the biscuits according to the package directions. When the chicken is finished cooking, top with prepared biscuits and serve.
Estimated Nutritional Information
The nutritional information provided are estimates. To learn more about how I calculate this information go to www.itisakeeper.com/about-its-a-keeper/privacy-disclosure-policies/