This no-bake lemon icebox cake is perfection. There is something about this classic, no-fuss dessert that makes people swoon. Maybe it’s the creamy layers or maybe it’s the way the graham crackers magically turn into a soft, flaky layer. Most likely, it’s both. It’s just so good.
This lemon cake is both elegant and easy at the same time.
No baked lemon icebox cake is tart and lemony. It reminds you of summer and warmer temperatures.
For this particular recipe, there is a surprise ingredient — Coffee-mate liquid creamer. Coffee-mate’s smooth, creamy taste has been perfected to bring out the flavor in your coffee but it is also perfect for this sweet dessert. Find out more about all their yummy flavors.
Why We Love This Recipe for No Bake Lemon Icebox Cake Recipe
This recipe is so easy and great because it is a no-bake recipe. Filled with tempting layers of lemony cream. Plus since it is no-bake your kids can help make it too!
- 15-Minute Prep: Make it in the morning and then let it set in the fridge for four hours.
- Easy Ingredients: All found in the pantry, seven simple ingredients, most pantry staples.
- Family Friendly: Kids love to eat it and help you make it too.
Ingredient Notes to Make Lemon Icebox Cake
- Instant Lemon Pudding Mix: Two packages of 3.5 ounces each.
- Cool Whip: An 8-ounce container, thaw before using.
- Coffee-Mate: Liquid creamer, original, or any flavor that you enjoy.
- Lemon: Fresh lemon juice and lemon zest.
- Graham Crackers: One 16-ounce package for this No Bake Lemon Ice Box Cake.
See my recipe card below for a complete list of the ingredients with measurements.
Variations and Substitutions for this Easy No-Bake Dessert
This lemon icebox cake is the perfect dessert for summer picnics, parties, and gatherings. It is light and refreshing, tangy and so very delicious.
- Coffee Mate: Extra creamy or even Italian Sweet cream are both good choices.
- Whipped Topping: Make your own whipped cream if you like.
How to Make this No-Bake Lemon Icebox Cake
We’ve used fresh lemons for this no-bake summer dessert. It will make the best lemon icebox cake recipe.
These are the basic steps for making a no-bake cake. Refer to the full, printable recipe card below for detailed instructions.
Step 1: Combine
First, in a large bowl, whisk together the pudding mix, creamer, and lemon zest. Next, fold in the whipped topping.
Step 2: Layer
Then place a single layer of graham crackers on the bottom of a 13×9 baking dish. You may need to break some of the crackers to completely cover the bottom of the baking dish. Next, pour 1/2 of the pudding mixture on top of the graham crackers. Then spread into an even layer.
Step 3: Repeat
Place another layer of graham crackers on top of the pudding mixture. Pour the remaining pudding on top of the graham crackers and spread into an even layer. Place a final layer of graham crackers on top of the pudding mixture.
Step 4: Frosting
Begin by beating the butter, powdered sugar, 2 tablespoons of Coffee-mate liquid creamer, 2 tablespoons lemon juice, and 1 tablespoon lemon zest in a large bowl until smooth and creamy. Then spread frosting on top of graham crackers.
Step 5: Refrigerate the No Bake Lemon Ice Box Cake
Finally, cover lightly with plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 4 hours.
Recipe FAQs the Best Lemon Icebox Cake Dessert Recipe
Expert Tips for Making This Creamy Lemon Summer Treat Recipe
- Top: Candied lemon slices, blueberries or fresh raspberries are great to top the dessert.
- Freeze: If the cake seems a little soft, it can be put into the freezer to set up.
- Crumbs: Feel free to add crushed graham cracker crumbs.
- Variation tip: Wafer cookies, nilla wafers or a thin crisp cookie can replace the graham crackers.
What to Serve with No-Bake Lemon Ice Box Cake
No Bake Lemon Ice Box Cake
- 7 ounces instant lemon pudding mix, 2 boxes
- 8 ounces frozen whipped topping, thawed
- 3 cups Coffee-mate liquid creamer, original or Sweet & Creamy varieties
- 2 tablespoons Coffee-mate, original or sweet & creamy
- 2 tablespoons lemon zest, divided
- 16 ounces graham crackers
- ½ cup butter, softened
- 1 ½ cups powdered sugar
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- In a large bowl, whisk together the pudding mixes, Coffee-mate liquid creamer and 1 tablespoon of lemon zest. Fold in whipped topping until combined.
- Place a single layer of graham crackers on the bottom of a 13×9 baking dish. You may need to break some of the crackers to completely cover the bottom of the baking dish.
- Pour 1/2 of the pudding mixture on top of the graham crackers. Spread into an even layer.
- Place another layer of graham crackers on top of the pudding mixture.
- Pour remaining pudding on top of graham crackers and spread into an even layer.
- Place a final layer of graham crackers on top of the pudding mixture.
- To make the frosting, beat the butter, powdered sugar, 2 tablespoons of Coffee-mate liquid creamer, 2 tablespoons lemon juice and 1 tablespoon lemon zest in a large bowl until smooth and creamy.
- Frosting will need to be somewhat thin to spread evenly. If frosting is too thick, add 1 teaspoon of Coffee-mate liquid creamer until desired consistency is reached.
- Spread frosting on top of graham crackers.
- Refrigerate for at least 4 hours before serving.