At my house Macaroni and Cheese is very high on our list of favorites. This recipe is one that I put together a lot of weekends. It’s easy to make and perfect for easting while we relax and binge watch Netflix.
Hi! Susanne from New South Charm back again with another great recipe. This month I’m sharing a family favorite for Macaroni and Cheese with Ham.
If you and your family love comfort food this recipe is going to be favorite from the very first bite.
To make prepare a one pound package of elbow pasta according to the directions drain and transfer pasta into a casserole dish.
While the pasta is cooking it’s a good time to dice up the ham. This is a recipe for leftover ham from holidays like Christmas or Easter. Another easy inexpensive option is to buy a slice of ham steak.
Once the ham is diced set it aside and prepare the sauce.
In a sauce pot melt two tablespoons butter and then add flour, ground mustard, garlic powder, onion powder and whisk together for two minutes.
Slowly add milk to saucepan and whisk frequently until smooth. When mixture is smooth and completely free of lumps remove the pot for heat and add in ham and cheese stirring until combined and the cheese it melted.
Pour sauce over the cooked pasta, I usually give it a stir to make sure the sauce it evenly distributed, and top with remaining cheese. Then pop it in the oven for 30 minutes.
Then be prepared to be amazed at how good this simple recipe tastes.
Over on New South Charm I have two more great recipes that feature ham as the main ingredient. The first is Ham and Cheese Tortellini and the second is Slow Cooker Ham and White Beans. You won’t want to miss these recipes so click the links and check them out!
What you need to make this recipe
More Recipes You Might Like
Looking for more? Check out all of the quick easy recipes for dinner on It Is a Keeper.
⭐ Did you make this recipe? Please give it a star rating below! ⭐
Macaroni and Cheese with Ham
- 2 cups ham - diced
- 16 oz . of elbow macaroni
- 1/4 cup of all purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 1/2 cups of milk
- 2 cups Sharp Cheddar - shredded
- Preheat oven 350 degrees
- Prepare pasta according to the directions drain and transfer pasta into a casserole dish prepared with nonstick spray.
- While the pasta is cooking dice the ham and set it aside.
- In a sauce pot melt butter and then add flour, dry mustard, garlic powder, onion powder and whisk together for two minutes.
- Slowly add milk to saucepan and whisk frequently until smooth. When mixture is smooth and completely free of lumps remove the pot for heat and add in ham and cheese stirring until combined and the cheese it melted.
- Pour sauce over the cooked pasta, (give it a stir to make sure the sauce it evenly distributed)
- Top with remaining cheese.
- Bake at 350 degrees for thirty minutes or until the cheese is bubbly and golden.
- Want to scale a recipe up or down? Simply type in a new serving amount and the recipe will automatically adjust!
- When a recipe call for House Seasoning Blend, you can use this recipe or substitute salt and pepper to taste.
- I always use unsalted butter in my recipes.
- I always use a meat thermometor to test for doneness when cooking meat. This one is my favorite.
- When a recipe is made in the oven, it should be pre-heated to the temperature in the recipe, unless otherwise noted.
- The nutritional information provided in this recipe is an estimate. Learn more on how I calculate nutritional information for my recipes.