Welcome to my Slow Cookin’ Summer series where I’m sharing 12 weeks of easy recipes for a slow cooker! Make sure you subscribe to It’s a Keeper so you don’t miss a single one! Just click here and I will email you as soon as a new recipe is posted.
Let’s keep the Slow Cookin’ Summer Series going with this recipe from Susan from Love in the Kitchen. Here’s her recipe:
I’m thrilled to be part of It is a Keeper’s Slow Cookin’ Summer Series! I’m Susan from Love in the Kitchen where I share my passion for cooking easy and tasty homemade food with fresh ingredients with you.
Today I am sharing Slow Cooker Cubano Sliders. These sandwiches are inspired by the flavors of the traditional Cubano sandwich – roast pork, ham, Swiss cheese and mustard – but cooked in the slow cooker.
The Cubano is basically a grilled ham and cheese sandwich with a couple of other key ingredients that really set it apart from your ordinary sandwich. The star of this sandwich is the slow-cooked pork. The pork adds the Cuban touch as it is slow-cooked with plenty of mojo, a delicious citrus and garlic marinade.
Slow Cooker Cubano Sliders
- 3 pound pork roast
- 2 cups chopped onions 2 large
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 2 fresh jalapeno peppers finely chopped (remove the seeds if you prefer less heat)
- 1/2 cup chicken broth
- juice of 1 orange
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons ground black pepper
- 6 cloves garlic minced
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/4 cup orange juice
- 1/4 cup lime juice
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 24 sliders or mini buns split
- 1/4 cup yellow mustard
- 12 slices smoked deli ham halved
- 12 slices Jarlsburg cheese halved or Swiss
- Cornichons or small dill pickles
Make the Pork
- In a 3-1/2- or 4-quart slow cooker combine the ingredients for the roast pork.
- Cover and cook on low-heat setting for 6 to 8 hours or on high-heat setting for 3 to 4 hours.
Make the Sauce
- In a medium skillet cook minced garlic in olive oil over medium heat until just starting to brown. Remove from heat.
- Add the juices, ground cumin, salt, and black pepper.
- Bring to a boil; reduce heat to medium.
- Simmer, uncovered, about 5 minutes or until slightly reduced.
- Shred the pork while it is still in the slow cooker.
- Stir the sauce into the shredded pork and let cook for another 15 minutes in the slow cooker.
- To serve, spread cut sides of each bun with butter.
Grill in saute pan, cut side down, until just browned and a little crisp.
- Remove from pan and spread mustard on each bun half.
- Top bun bottoms with one-half slice ham and one-half slice cheese.
- Use a slotted spoon to spoon roast pork mixture on top of cheese slices.
- Cover with bun tops.
- If desired, garnish each slider with a cornichons
Estimated Nutritional Information
The nutritional information provided are estimates. To learn more about how I calculate this information go to www.itisakeeper.com/about-its-a-keeper/privacy-disclosure-policies/
These Slow Cooker Cubano Sliders make wonderful dinner sandwiches. For even more traditional flavors, serve with spicy black bean soup or black beans and rice, and plantain chips.
Thanks so much for sharing your great recipe, Susan! If you like this recipe, please pin it or share it! And, of course make sure you subscribe to It’s a Keeper so you don’t miss a single one!
That’s right, my friends! You can enter to win this awesome Casserole Crock! I just love mine! You can read about how I use it here. It’s perfect for casseroles, lasagnas, desserts and so much more! And, it will surely come in handy during the holidays.
For more recipe inspiration, be sure to check out these pages on It’s a Keeper: