Moving can be so stressful, whether it’s across town or across the country. Here are some of my best tips for making your next move less stressful.
It doesn’t matter how far you move, the entire process can be overwhelming. Luckily, there are some things you can do to make the transition a little easier.
Moving Tips and Tricks
1. Purge and pack: Don’t just pack up everything you own. Carefully go through your possessions and only pack the items you really want. Moving can be a great time to clear out the clutter. Donate or toss any unwanted items before you pack them up.
2. Pack essentials separately: Don’t get stuck without your toothbrush, pillow or phone chargers. Pack the items you can’t live without in a separate clear tote that is clearly labeled. Keep the tote in an easy to access to place during your move.
3. Pack cleaning supplies: Pack essential cleaning supplies in a separate box that you can easily find. Unpack this box first so you can clean up your new place as soon as you move in.
4. Use what you have: Instead of buying packing material, use the items you have on hand. Wrap breakables in dish towels, socks, t-shirts, etc. You have to pack these items anyway, why not put them to good use?
Label every single box on all four sides (not the top). Include, at least, the room the items go in, as well as the content, if possible.
6. Document your place: If you’re moving into a rented space, take a photo of every room before moving in and make note of any imperfections. This can help you get your security deposit back.
7. Consider the weight: Pack heavy items, like books and dishes, in small boxes so they don’t get too heavy.
8. Keep track of small parts: When disassembling items like furniture, place all of the hardware in a zip top bag and tape it to the furniture piece.
9. Photograph before you pack: If you love the way your photo wall is arranged, snap a picture before you pack it so you can easily replicate it in your new place. The same is true for electronics. Photograph where the wires go before you unplug it so you can easily install it later on.
10. Hassle free furniture: If you’re just starting out, relocating for work or just looking for an easy furniture solution, consider furniture rental. If you rent furniture, you don’t have to move it from place to place. You don’t have to commit to a certain style and you don’t have to worry about it fitting into your next place.
CORT Furniture Rental is the national industry leader. It’s a convenient and cost-effective way to furnish your new place without having to commit to big, bulky pieces.
With these 10 tips you will be well on your way to a stress-free moving experience.
Did you enjoy this post?
Get FREE email updates of my latest recipes and tips. Plus, I'll send you my FREE eCookbook, The Best Slow Cooker Recipes Every Cook Needs!