Birdseed Ornaments are a super easy project to do with kids. A perfect gift to make for Mother’s Day. This cute decorations is not only fun to make it is also helpful to our bird friends.
These Birdseed Ornaments can be made with products that you have on hand and are so quick and easy for your little ones. It takes only minutes to make and only four ingredients. What could be better than that?
MORE KIDS PROJECTS YOU MIGHT LIKE
What We Love About This Treat Recipe
- 5 Minute Project: With kids attention spans, this project gets done really quick.
- Easy Ingredients: Only four ingredients!
- Family Friendly: Perfect for kids of all ages to help create.
- Mini Bagels: Two mini bagels.
- Peanut Butter: Any nut butter will do, Sun Butter, almond butter etc. Note xylitol is bad for birds. Make sure that this is not in your peanut butter.
- Birdseed: 1 cup of any kind of bird seed.
- Twine: Ribbon or any type of string to hang with.
- Large Bowl
- Measuring Cup
How to Make Birdseed Ornament Recipe
These are the basic steps for making birdseed cakes. Please refer to the recipe card below for more detailed instructions.
STEP 1: In a Mixing Bowl
First, pour about 1 cup of birdseed to a bowl. Then slice the mini bagels into two halves and next spread 1 tablespoon of peanut butter on each bagel half.
STEP 2: Dip
Set the peanut butter side down into the bowl of birdseed mixture, and gently pack down molding it to the birdseed. Set on a wax paper lined baking tray, pan or cookie sheet.
STEP 3: String and Tie to a Tree Branch
Finally, put a piece of twine through the hole in the middle of each bagel, and tie in a double knotted loop where the two ends meet. Tie to tree branches and watch the backyard feathered friends enjoy.
Prep and Storage Tips for Bird Seed Ornaments
HOW TO MAKE THIS RECIPE AHEAD OF TIME
These ornaments can be made a day or so ahead of time and kept in the refrigerator until ready to gift and hang.
HOW TO FREEZE THIS RECIPE
The birdseed ornaments can be frozen in a freezer bag or airtight container for up to six months when ready, hang on the tree and allow to thaw.
Frequently Asked Questions Birdseed Cakes
Of course, try using another nut butter. Almond butter, cashew butter etc. will all work.
Indeed, make as many of these ornaments as you like simply by increasing the recipe below or make half if you wish.
Really there are many options depending on your child’s age and skill level. Texas Toast can be used and cookie cutters to cut out different shapes such as Christmas designs. Spray cookie cutters with cooking spray and cut out the shapes lay them on a parchment paper lined baking sheet and follow the directions below.
Expert Tips for Making This Recipe
- Add Nuts : Stir in some dried berries and nuts to your bird seed.
- Honey: Replace your peanut butter with honey or corn syrup.
- Variation tip: Pinecones or apple slices are a great replacement in place of the bread for these bird feeder.
Did you try this recipe?
⭐ Click below to leave a review and rating! ⭐
- 2 mini bagels
- ¼ cup peanut butter
- 1 cup birdseed
- 4 – 10 inch pieces of twine
- Add about 1 cup of birdseed to a bowl.
- Slice the mini bagels into two halves.
- Spread 1 tablespoon of peanut butter on each bagel half.
- Set the peanut butter side down into the bowl of birdseed, and gently press down to cover it in birdseed.
- Put a piece of twine through the hole in the middle of each bagel, and tie in a double knot where the two ends meet.
- Hang on a tree for the birds to enjoy!