These spring decorated cupcakes are so pretty and can be used for birthdays, Easter or baby showers.
I love this time of year, it stays lighter at night, the flowers are blooming, it’s like life has come back after being asleep all winter long. Living in the desert doesn’t allow much for those beautiful spring bulbs you see everywhere in magazines and cooler weather states. So I like to bring spring into my kitchen by making spring decorated cupcakes.
I start out with a delicious almond flavored white cupcake and buttercream frosting and added some gel color to make spring colors for the flowers.
I made two different ones today. One is the rose and the other is a drop flower as Wilton describes it. These are both simple flower techniques, but look beautiful.
To start with the rose flower, you can tint the buttercream frosting any color you want the rose to be. You will be using a 1M tip by Wilton for this one. You also need a piping bag. Once you color the frosting, add the tip first into the bag and then add the frosting. Starting in the middle of the cupcake squeeze some out and then swirl your hand clockwise slowly until the cupcake is completely frosted. When you come to the end, release pressure and push down.
This is where you can add some green leaves with a 352 Wilton tip to finish it off. To make the leaves hold the tip up and down against the cupcake and squeeze out and come to a point. You can always practice these on wax paper.
Next move to the drop flower cupcake. You will need a Wilton 104 rose tip. This one is bigger on the bottom and narrows at the top. Start with your hand tilted to the right. Big end of the tip on the cupcake. Small end tilted up but to the right. Then you will make upside down U’s. Starting with the outside going around in a circle. Once you have finished go inside the circle until you come to the end and then around in the middle 4 or 5 times. Once you are done add some sugar pearls to the middle.
You can make the roses in under a minute and the drop flower in under 2 minutes.
Spring Flower Cupcakes
Spring Decorated Cupcakes
- 1 stick Softened Butter
- 1 cup Sugar
- 1/2 tsp Almond Extract
- 2 Large Eggs
- 1 1/2 cup All Purpose Flour
- 1 tsp Baking Powder
- 1/2 tsp Salt
- 1/2 cup Milk
- 1/2 cup Butter
- 3 cups Confectioners Sugar
- 1 tsp Vanilla Extract
- Preheat the Oven to 350 degrees and Line a cupcake pan
- Mix the butter, sugar, eggs, and extract in a stand mixer until smooth
- In a large bowl mix the dry ingredients together and sift.
- Alternate the dry ingredients and milk into the creamed mixture
- Scoop into the liners and bake for 18 minutes, Cool
- While cupcakes are baking mix the frosting.
- Cream the butter with confectioners sugar
- Add the extract.
- Once the cupcakes are cool take get bowls for frosting to color. Add gel color into frosting with toothpick. Then Decorate. Have Fun. Enjoy
- Want to scale a recipe up or down? Simply type in a new serving amount and the recipe will automatically adjust!
- When a recipe call for House Seasoning Blend, you can use this recipe or substitute salt and pepper to taste.
- I always use unsalted butter in my recipes.
- I always use a meat thermometor to test for doneness when cooking meat. This one is my favorite.
- When a recipe is made in the oven, it should be pre-heated to the temperature in the recipe, unless otherwise noted.
- The nutritional information provided in this recipe is an estimate. Learn more on how I calculate nutritional information for my recipes.