Orange jello salad is the perfect dessert for any occasion. Whether you’re hosting a party, attending a potluck, or just looking for something different to end your meal with, this easy recipe has you covered. Not only is it delicious and refreshing, but it’s also great for making ahead of time.
This Orange Jello Salad is a tasty dessert everyone will love. Light, refreshing and delicious, it’s a great way to end any meal. The flavors of orange, pineapple come together to create a scrumptious treat that everyone will love. With its simple ingredients and easy preparation, you can quickly whip up this flavorful dish for your next gathering or family dinner.
MORE JELLO SALAD RECIPES YOU MIGHT LIKE
What We Love About This Easy Orange Recipe
Jello salad can be easily customized by adding in different fruits, nuts, or even whipped cream, making it a versatile and crowd-pleasing dessert for any gathering. You can even level up your dessert by making it a layered. The bright orange color of the Jello salad also adds a pop of color to any table. It is perfect for Easter or any fun family get together. This 1950s mandarin orange jello salad is a true classic.
- Quick to Prep: While this jello salad takes some time to chill, it only takes about 10 minutes to prepare which makes it a great make ahead recipe.
- Family Favorite Recipes: Your family and kids who love this orange flavor will love this recipe because it is so tasty and fun. Perfect for Thanksgiving and Christmas.
- Adaptable: Finish with oranges to garnish the top and fresh whipped topping or use cool whip. Not only can you add or remove fruit ingredients that you’d prefer, you can also easily make orange sugar-free jello for a slightly less sweetness or vegan friendly.
- Orange Jello: An Orange flavored box of jello will work the best with this recipe as it matches with the fruit that is included. If you are looking for a less sugary dessert, you can always get the sugar free orange jello mix.
- Tropical Crushed Pineapple: For this recipe, drained crushed pineapple, the canned pineapple is fine.
- Canned Mandarin Oranges: Drain the oranges. You can use the oranges to garnish as well.
Variations and Substitutions
- Dietary Needs – If needed, you can easily use sugar-free jello instead and/or the container of cool whip for fat free cool whip or other whip topping. You can also swap fat free cream cheese.
- Cottage Cheese – Is there aren’t many recipes that you can make great swap outs for this recipe.
- Cool Whip: You can use cool whip or dream whip or even other flavors of whipped topping.
- Jello Molds – Spice up the look of your refreshing spring jello salad with fun mold shapes.
How to Make Mandarin Orange Jello Dessert
These are the basic steps for making layered jello salad. Please refer to the printable recipe card below for more detailed instructions. Find more great dessert recipes on Instagram, Pinterest and Facebook. Leave a comment if you have followed the recipe or if you share the recipe.
STEP 1: MIX INGREDIENTS TOGETHER
Combine the first set of ingredients in a mixing bowl, make the jello with the boiling water, and then add the softened cream cheese (or small curd cottage cheese) to the jello and mix. Use a hand mixer to beat together the ingredients until the jello mixture is light and fluffy.
STEP 2: DRAIN THE MANDARIN ORANGES AND CRUSHED PINEAPPLE
Add the drained mandarin oranges and then add the oranges and crushed pineapple pieces and the cool whip to the orange mixture. Stir gently until all ingredients are evenly combined. Prepare your jello mold and then pour the cheese and jello orange mixture into mold and chill for 4 hours.
Prep and Storage Tips
HOW TO MAKE THE JELL-O SALAD AHEAD OF TIME
This dessert needs to be chilled for at least 4 hours, so you can make this recipe a day or two before your event.
HOW TO STORE THIS QUICK AND EASY MANDARIN ORANGE JELLO SALAD RECIPE
The best way to store this recipe is to cover it and keep it in the refrigerator. Jello salad typically stays good for 3-5 days.
HOW TO FREEZE THIS ORANGE FLUFF SALAD
I wouldn’t recommend freezing your jello salad as freezing damages the texture of the fruit salad and the salad may separate and become watery.
Frequently Asked Questions
Of course. A great alternative would be cottage cheese for this orange jello salad with cottage cheese. I do not recommend fresh whipped cream for the cool whip as it may not be as stable.
Indeed! While pineapple and mandarin oranges pair nicely with the triple orange, you can always swap out for a fruit of your choosing. However, mandarin oranges really complement this dish. A pineapple jello, or use cherry jello or sugar free jello in the flavor of pineapple would be great instead of orange.
Yes! You can easily double the ingredients for more jello salad or spilt the ingredients in half for a smaller portion.
Some! While some fruits can ruin the jello setting process, the mandarin oranges are fine and will add a nice touch of orange flavor and freshness to your dessert.
There are a few tricks that you can do before and after to help unmold. Check out Taste of Home for the tricks.
Expert Recipe Tips for Making This Orange Gelatin Recipe
Making this orange jello mandarin fluff salad doesn’t have to be a difficult or time-consuming task. With the right ingredients and a few simple tips, you can whip up this delicious dish in no time! Whether you’re looking for a light snack or an easy side dish for your next dinner party, an orange fluff recipe is sure to please. So try some of these recipe notes.
- Add Crunch: If you’re looking to spice up your dessert and add a bit of crunch into the mix, try adding in some nuts of your choosing. Walnuts are a great nut to pair in the salad.
- Coconut: Another fun way to jazz up your jello orange salad is to add in coconut flakes. Coconut flakes have great flavor and add to the summer feel of this dessert. Also, try a few small marshmallows or mini marshmallow.
- Molding Tip: If you are having trouble getting your jello out of the mold, try filling a large pan with hot water and placing the mold in the water for about 10 seconds. This will help loosen the jello from the mold, making it easier to remove.
- Vegan Option: While jello normally isn’t a vegan dish, you can easily use plant based jello in place of regular.
- Instant Pudding Mix: Instant Vanilla pudding mix would add a creaminess and a hint of vanilla flavor from the cool whip and vanilla pudding like an orange dreamsicle.
What to Serve with Vintage Orange Jello Salad
- Pig Pickin Cake
- Pineapple Glazed Ham
- Garlic Lime Chicken with Pineapple Salsa
- Best Ways to Cook Broccoli
Did you try this recipe?
⭐ Click below to leave a review and rating! ⭐
Orange Jello Salad
- 12 ounces orange jello, 2 boxes
- 3 cups water, boiling
- 1 cup pineapple juice, reserved
- 8 ounces cream cheese, soft
- 8 ounces crushed pineapple, 1 can, drained, reserve juice
- 11 ounces mandarins, 1 can, drained
- 8 ounces cool whip, 1 tub
- Combine jello, boiling water, pineapple juice, and cream cheese into a large mixing bowl.
- Using a hand mixer, mix the ingredients until jello is completely dissolved and the mixture is light and fluffy.
- Add the drained pineapple, drained mandarins, and cool whip to the bowl.
- Stir gently and pour mixture into the prepared mold.
- Cover mold and chill for 4 hours.
- Transfer jello salad to a plate.
- If you’re looking to spice up your jello salad and add a bit of crunch into the mix, try adding in some nuts of your choosing. Walnuts are a great nut to pair in a jello salad.
- Another fun way to jazz up your jello salad is to add in coconut flakes. Coconut flakes have great flavor and add to the summer feel of this dessert.
- If you are having trouble getting your jello out of the mold, try filling a large pan with hot water and placing the mold in the water for about 10 seconds. This will help loosen the jello from the mold, making it easier to remove.