This white trash recipe is a delicious snack mix, perfect for parties and game night, despite it’s different name. Made with Chex cereal, nuts, and white chocolate, this sweet and salty mix, also called muddy buddies, is a fun and addictive snack to be enjoyed at any occasion.
White Trash Mix: A Sweet Spin on Chex Mix
Chex is a breakfast cereal currently manufactured by General Mills. While it can be enjoyed on its own, it’s also popular in snack mixes.
You may be familiar with Chex Mix, a salty and savory snack, but white trash candy uses much sweeter ingredients. Chex cereal comes in many different flavors, from honey nut to blueberry, all of which you can use in your candy mix.
This recipe for White Trash is sometimes called Christmas Crack or Christmas Trash. It’s a delicious white chocolate candy that’s loaded with texture. It’s one of our favorite sweet and salty snacks. We love this recipe.
This is almost like a white chocolate trail mix. It usually makes an appearance around Christmas but you can make this white trash recipe anytime of the year.
Why White Trash Chex Mix is a Keeper
- Easy Recipe: This recipe uses easy ingredients, and only takes 5 minutes to make.
- Versatile: Use any ingredients you’d like in this party mix – such as trying different versions of Chex Mix cereal, Crispix, Golden Grahams, or different M&M’s.
- Party Favorite: Make this recipe for any party or gathering. It’s a great alternative to Puppy Chow.
Can You Make this White Chocolate Snack Mix Gluten Free?
Yes! Chex and Cheerios have gluten free cereal varieties in addition to their original recipes. If you want a gluten-free alternative to this snack, make sure to use cereal that suits your dietary needs.
Ingredient Notes for White Chocolate Chex Mix
Throw together this white trash recipe in just a few minutes with these simple ingredients! This no bake recipe covered in white chocolate is an easy party snack that you’ll enjoy every Christmas, or whenever you’d like to eat this addictive salty treat.
- White Chocolate Chips: Melt white chocolate chips to give your snack mix a sweet coating.
- Chex Cereal: Use rice Chex, corn Chex, or wheat Chex.
- Pretzel Sticks: Adds a salty twist to your white trash candy.
See the recipe card below for a complete list of the ingredients with measurements.
Variations and Substitutions
- White Chocolate Melts: Instead of chocolate chips, try white chocolate melting wafers or use white almond bark in this sweet chex mix.
- Cranberries and Cashews: Mix up the flavor with different fruit and nut options, such as dried cranberries and cashews.
How to Make “White Trash Candy”
Follow these easy steps to make a great snack mix bursting with flavor!
These are the basic steps for making white trash candy. Refer to the full, printable recipe card below for detailed instructions.
Step 1: Mix
Combine all the dry ingredients in a large mixing bowl. Mix well.
Step 2: Melt
Put the the chocolate in a microwave-safe bowl and melt the white chocolate in the microwave (use 30 second intervals). Then, pour melted chocolate into the large bowl with the dry ingredients. You can also use a double boiler, if you prefer.
Step 3: Set
Lay the mixture flat on baking sheets covered in wax paper or parchment paper, and refrigerate until hardened.
Step 4: Break
Remove from the refrigerator and break the salty snack mix apart.
Expert Tips for Making This Christmas Treat
- Nuts: Try different kinds of nuts, like peanuts, almonds, or shelled pistachios in your white trash snack mix.
- Sprinkles: Sprinkles will add a fun pop of color to this white trash candy mix.
- Different chips: Semi-sweet or milk chocolate chips will also work.
- Different cereal: Instead of Chex, try a different cereal, like cornflakes.
- Safety first: Always use a microwave safe bowl when melting chocolate in the microwave.
White Trash Candy
- 2 cups Chex cereal
- 2 cups Cheerios toasted oat cereal
- 2 cups peanuts
- 2 cups salted pretzel sticks, broken into pieces
- 2 cups M&M’s
- 1 16 oz white chocolate chips
- Mix all of the dry ingredients in a large bowl.
- Melt the white chocolate chips in the microwave and then pour into the bowl with the dry ingredients.
- Lay the mixture flat on cookie sheets and refrigerate until hardened.
- Remove from the refrigerator and break the mixture apart.
- Recipe Can be Doubled: Trash Candy is great recipe for a crowd. Simply increase the ingredients proportionately and split it into two baking dishes.
- Sprinkles: Different sprinkles to enhance the holiday theme is great.
- Storage: Surely, there will be no leftovers. However, if you want to hide some for later, store in an airtight container.