This homemade Chicken Rub recipe makes boring chicken amazing! Add this seasoning for the chicken to your favorite recipes to make them taste incredible.
It can sometimes be hard to find the perfect blend of herbs and spices to make the seasoning for chicken. With a lot of trial and tribulation I have come up with what, I think, is the perfect homemade chicken rub.
Why This Homemade Chicken Rub Works
Dry rubs don’t add any additional moisture to the exterior of a piece of meat the way a marinade does. When you apply heat to protein, the moisture on the surface needs to evaporate before a sear can start to develop, so marinades make that harder. A dry rub is going to give you a caramelized crust much easier.
How to Make Seasoning for Chicken – Step by Step
- Step One: First, mix all the spices and herbs together in a small bowl. (Photo 1 below)
- Step Two: Next, place in a jar with an airtight lid. (Photo 2 below)
- Step One: When ready to use, pat chicken dry and apply chicken rub liberally. (Photo 1 below)
Recommendations for Making Chicken Rub Recipe
You can use this chicken rub recipe on any type of chicken. If you are going to use a piece of chicken with the skin still on, put the rub underneath the skin so the flavors can be locked in and the flavor will permeate the meat.
When the chicken is nearly done, you can add any type of sauce or marinade to up the flavor.
Recommendations for Using This Grilled Chicken Seasoning
This Grilled Chicken Seasoning blend works great on all types of chicken – breasts, thighs, or even a whole chicken. Use it in all of your favorite chicken recipes to give it a kick of flavor.
I also have a collection of the Best Grilled Vegetables which will make your grill sizzle.
Expert Tips for Making the Best Homemade Chicken Rub Recipe
- Use It On Other Things: This rub is great on pork or vegetables too.
- This Recipe Can be Doubled: This Rub stores well so make more and keep it on hand for the season or find a pretty jar and give it as a gift to friends and family.
- Change it up: Feel free to change the amount of a certain spice or leave it out if you don’t enjoy it.
Shop This Recipe
More Recipes You Might Like
Looking for more? Check out all of the Grill Recipes on It Is a Keeper.
Recipes You May Have Missed
⭐ Did you make this recipe? Please give it a star rating below! ⭐
Homemade Chicken Rub for Smoking
- Mix all ingredients together in a small bowl.
- Transfer to a jar with an air tight lid.
- Add Sauce: When the chicken is nearly done, you can add any type of sauce or marinade to up the flavor.
- Heat: If you like a little more heat add red pepper flakes or chili powder to the bbq rub.
- Variation tip: Feel like adding a little sweetness to the rub, then add a little brown sugar, It helps ensure a great crust and is a great counter to the heat.
- Alternate Meat: This dry rub is excellent for pork and ribs too.
- Alternate cooking method tip: No need to use a smoker for this rub, you can use it on chicken that you want to cook in the stove, air fryer or crock pot. They flavor is always excellent.