Our chicken provencal recipe is a delicious and hearty dinner option. This classic French dish is bursting with flavor and is sure to satisfy even the hungeriest of appetites.
Chicken provencal is a traditional French recipe that has become a beloved classic around the world. This hearty and flavorful meal contains juicy chicken thighs cooked in a smooth tomato sauce with a rich blend of herbs and spices.
Why We Love This Classic Chicken Recipe
This light and flavorful chicken braised recipe has been enjoyed for centuries and is perfect for any occasion. Whether you’re hosting a casual dinner party or a holiday feast. This dish is sure to impress your guests and leave them asking for more.
- Easy Ingredients: All the ingredients used in this dish are easy to find and pantry staples. Such as chicken, tomatoes, and herbs de Provence.
- Family Friendly: This recipe is sure to please the whole family with its rich and flavorful tomatoey sauce and juicy, moist chicken.
- Makes Great Leftovers: This provencal chicken is even better the next day, so don’t hesitate to make a big batch and enjoy it for lunch or dinner throughout the week. The leftover chicken and sauce are great for making a delicious sandwich or wrap for a quick and easy lunch.
Ingredient Notes for French Chicken Thighs with Herbs de Provence
- Chicken Thighs: This recipe calls for bone-in chicken thighs, but you are more than welcome to use boneless skinless thighs or a different part of the chicken.
- Herbs de Provence: This fresh herb blend from the south of France can be found at most grocery stores, but if you can’t find it, you can easily make your own by combing thyme, rosemary, and other herbs.
See my recipe card below for a complete list of the ingredients with measurements.
Variations and Substitutions for Braise Chicken Provencal Recipe
- Cooking variation: Use an instant pot or slow cooker, you can easily adapt this recipe. Cooking the chicken thighs with the tomatoes and herbs.
- Different Additions: Try caper or shallots with the braised chicken.
How to Make Chicken Provencal Cuisine
Provencal chicken is a classic French dish that you will fall in love with. Not only does it have an amazing taste and aroma, but it is also very easy to make.
These are the basic steps for making chicken Provence. Refer to the full, printable recipe card below for detailed instructions.
Step 1: Pre-Cook Chicken
Preheat your oven to 400 degrees F. Sprinkle chicken with salt and pepper or season the chicken with whatever you like. Heat olive oil in an oven-safe skillet or Dutch oven. Add the seasoned chicken once the oil is hot and brown on medium-low heat for about 7-8 minutes until golden brown in color.
Step 2: Add Seasonings and Wine
After leaving the chicken pieces untouched while cooking for 7-8 minutes, flip the thighs over. Sprinkle herbs de Provence and dried thyme over the chicken. Add in the sliced onions, garlic cloves, green olives, cherry tomatoes, and wine around the chicken pieces.
Step 3: Bake in Oven
Place the oven-safe skillet into the preheated oven. Leave uncovered and braise for 1 hour. The chicken braised in white wine will truly enhance the dish.
Recipe FAQs about this Chicken Dish
Expert Tips to Make Chicken Provencal
This classic French chicken comfort food combines the flavors of juicy chicken, tangy tomatoes, fragrant herbs, and savory olives. It creates a meal that’s sure to please. While making chicken Provence may sound complicated to make, it’s actually quite simple with a few tips and tricks.
- Bone-In Thighs: Using bone-in chicken thighs will help add more flavor to the dish because the flavor inside the bone will spread into the meat while cooking which also helps keep the meat moist and tender.
- Side Dish: Provencal chicken can be great served by itself but it also pairs well with crusty bread, rice, or roasted vegetables.
- Marinate: You can marinate the chicken in the herbes de provence for at least 30 minutes before cooking. This allows the flavors to really soak into the meat.
What to Serve with Chicken Provencal
- Easy Cheesy Orzo
- Baby Kale and Spinach Salad with Grapefruit Vinaigrette
- Air Fryer Garlic Breadsticks
- 5-6 Chicken thighs, bone in
- 2 tablespoons Olive oil
- 1 tablespoon Herbes de Provence
- 1 teaspoon Dried thyme, or 3 sprigs of fresh thyme
- 1 teaspoon Salt
- 1 teaspoon Black pepper powder
- 8 Garlic cloves
- 1 Large onion , cut into large slices
- 1 cup Cherry tomatoes
- 1 cup Green olives
- 1 cup White wine
- Preheat your oven to 400 degree F.
- Season the bone in chicken thighs with salt and pepper.
- Heat olive oil in a large oven safe skillet over medium low heat and then add chicken thighs. Cook untouched for 7-8 minutes, then flip the chicken thighs over.
- Sprinkle Herbes de Provence and dried thyme on the chicken. Add sliced onions, garlic, olives and cherry tomatoes to the skillet. Add wine around chicken.
- Place the skillet in the preheated oven and braise uncovered for 1 hour.
- Remove and let it cool.
- Bone-In Thighs: Using bone-in chicken thighs will help add more flavor to the dish because the flavor inside the bone will spread into the meat while cooking which also helps keeps the meat moist and tender.
- Side Dish: Provencal chicken can be great served by itself but it also pairs well with bread, rice, or roasted vegetables.
- Marinate: You can marinate the chicken in the herbes de provence for at least 30 minutes before cooking to allow the flavors to really soak into the meat.