This Upside Down Pizza Casserole is an easy comfort food recipe.
My love of pizza is epic. If I could pick one food to eat everyday for a week it would be pizza. So when I found the recipe for Upside Down Pizza Casserole I had to try it.
Hi! It’s Susanne from New South Charm back again this month with a great recipe to help your family is sure to love.
My favorite part of this pizza recipe is the sauce. For this recipe the sauce is made from combining a jar of store bought marinara combined with basic seasonings and a little mozzarella cheese. The result is a great sauce full of warm rich flavor.
Pizza has to have a crust. That’s probably rule number one of pizza making. For this Upside Down Pizza Casserole the crust is made from canned refrigerated biscuits. That’s easy enough right?
To make the crust from the biscuits you’ll need to popped them out of the can and then slice them in half. After cutting them in half gently flatten them in your hands. They should be about a half inch thick.
After you’ve sliced and flatten the biscuits line them across the top of the cheese. Then pop it in the oven for 15 minutes. You read that right fifteen minutes. Serve it with a fresh salad and dinner is served.
If you love pizza like me then be sure to check out my recipe for 30 Minute French Bread Pizza. I also recommend checking out my recipe for 15 Minute Mariana Sauce. It would be great for this recipe or a fast pasta night. Or if you’re looking for more easy dinner recipes that are semi-homemade you’ll love my recipe for Chicken Croissant Casserole.
What’s your favorite fast fix dinner? Are you looking for more fast dinner ideas? Leave a comment below and let me know what kinds of recipes you’re looking for.
For more recipe inspiration, be sure to check out these pages on It is a Keeper:
Upside Down Pizza Casserole
Upside Down Pizza Casserole
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 pound ground beef
- 15 ounces jar pizza sauce
- 1 10 ounce package refrigerated biscuits
- 1 cup Mozzarella cheese
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon Italian Seasoning
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes - optional
- Parmesan cheese for garnish - optional
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees
- Heat olive oil in a large skillet on medium high heat. Brown beef and drain off fat.
- In the skillet add jarred sauce, seasonings and a handful of Mozzarella cheese to beef. Stir until evenly mixed and heated through (about five minutes)
- Transfer mixture into an ungreased 2 quart baking dish. Sprinkle remaining Mozzarella cheese on top.
- Cut each biscuit in half and flatten by hand making them half inch thick. Line the biscuits on top of cheese.
- Bake at 400 degrees for 15 minutes or until biscuits are golden brown.
- Want to scale a recipe up or down? Simply type in a new serving amount and the recipe will automatically adjust!
- When a recipe call for House Seasoning Blend, you can use this recipe or substitute salt and pepper to taste.
- I always use unsalted butter in my recipes.
- I always use a meat thermometor to test for doneness when cooking meat. This one is my favorite.
- When a recipe is made in the oven, it should be pre-heated to the temperature in the recipe, unless otherwise noted.
- The nutritional information provided in this recipe is an estimate. Learn more on how I calculate nutritional information for my recipes.