Here is my fool proof method for how to make perfect brown rice on the stove top.
My family loves brown rice. It’s a great whole grain alternative to traditional white rice.
Brown rice is a little trickier to make than white rice and it takes longer to cook, too. But, when made properly, it’s so worth it. The result is perfect brown rice that is not sticky or under cooked.
I like to make big batches of brown rice and stash the leftovers in the freezer. I package it in single and family size servings so I always have some on hand.
When I’m ready to eat it, simply remove the rice from the freezer, place in a microwave safe bowl, cover with a damp towel and cook in 1 minute increments in the microwave until heated through.
It’s perfect as a side dish or to add to recipes like rice pudding, fried rice or stuffed pepper soup.
For more recipe inspiration, be sure to check out these pages on It is a Keeper:
- Easy Dessert Recipes
- 40+ Easy Crock Pot Recipes
- 100+ Quick Dinner Ideas
- Instant Pot Chicken Fried Rice
How to Make Perfect Brown Rice
Perfect Brown Rice
- 1 cup natural brown rice
- 8 cups cold water
- 1 ½ teaspoons salt
- Rinse the rice under cold water for 30 seconds.
- In a heavy pot with a tight fitting lid, bring the water and salt to a boil over high heat.
- When the water is at a full boil, add the rice and stir.
- Partially cover the pot with the lid (you don't want it to boil over) and cook on medium-high for 30 minutes.
- After 30 minutes, drain the rice in a colander, then quickly return it to the pot.
- Cover the pot tightly and let it steam (off the heat) for 20 minutes.
- Uncover and fluff the rice with a fork.
6 thoughts on “Perfect Brown Rice”
This method cooks the rice perfectly for me. Thanks
Can you cook the rice in chicken broth instead of water?
This came out way better thank I thought!—-no more white rice for me; thanks dor sgarin…….
I absolutely loved this simple recipe. You don’t know how many times I’ve tried to cook fried rice, only to have it turn out sticky and yucky (and this is following the recipes on the packages). This rice turned out fluffy and perfect. Thank you so much!!
I’m so glad you found it helpful! Thank you for letting me know 🙂