Celebrate Russian Christmas with these traditional Russian food recipes. You will find a variety of sweet and savory dishes often served for Russian Orthodox Christmas.
Russian Christmas falls on January 7th each year because the Orthodox Church follows the old Julian calendar when it comes to religious celebrations. The December 25th Christmas follows the current Gregorian calendar, but both celebrations involve church, family, and lots of delicious food.
This collection of traditional Russian recipes are perfect for celebrating Russian Christmas.
Savory Russian Recipes
Meat is a main component in many traditional Russian recipes, making for a variety of savory flavors. However, there are plenty of meatless options as well.
- Golubtsi (Russian Cabbage Rolls): An easy comfort food.
- Russian Beet Salad: Healthy, simple, and delicious!
- Russian Vinaigrette Salad: A year-round classic.
- Shashlik (Russian Pork Kebabs): A tender, juicy, traditional favorite.
- Blini (Russian Chicken and Mushroom Crepes): Perfect for mushroom lovers..
- Blini (another version): Featuring sweet or savory options.
- Bulochki (Russian Yeast Rolls): Light and fluffy.
- Piroshki (Meat filled Russian pastries): Stuffed with comforting flavor!
- Tefteli (Russian Meatballs): Soft and juicy.
- Pelmeni (Russian Meat Dumplings): Kids will love shaping the dough!
- Borscht: Messy but so yummy!
- Russian Cabbage Pie: Simple and scrumptious.
- Russian Potato Salad: Easily customized to your taste.
Sweet Russian Recipes
What is Christmas without sweets? These Russian recipes feature many delicious treats.
- Kolach (Ukranian Christmas Bread): Moderately rich and sweet.
- Rogaliki (Russian Rugelach): Comforting cookies.
- Gribochky (Russian Mushroom Cookies): They look adorable!
- Pyraniki (Russian Spice Cookies): Pairs perfectly with tea.
- Russian Brined Apples: An age old tradition.
- Korolevsky (Russian King Cake): Soft and moist.
- Kiev Cake: Guaranteed to please.
- Smetannik Cake: Deliciously simple.
- Sharlotka (Russian Apple Cake): Quick and easy.
- Poppy Seed Roll: Flavored with the best lemon and orange zest!
- Pampushky (Ukrainian Christmas Doughnuts): Just the right amount of flaky.
- Syrniki (Russian Cheese Pancakes): A tasty breakfast treat.
Shop This Recipe
More Recipes You Might Like
- 30 Christmas Breakfast Recipes
- Holiday Mule Cocktail
- Festive Holiday Cocktails and Mocktails
- 30 Warm and Cozy Gingerbread Recipes
Looking for more? Check out all of the easy Christmas recipes on It Is a Keeper.