This Three Cheese Baked Penne casserole is an easy meatless meal that can easily be made ahead.
Three Cheese Baked Penne is an easy meatless dinner. But, don’t worry about losing flavor because all it’s made with lots of seasonings and tons of cheesy goodness.
There are lots of reasons people choose to eat a meatless meal once or more times a week. Most people choose them for health reasons but they are also inexpensive; making meatless meals not only good for you but for you wallet too.
Of course a lot of people choose to take part in Meatless Monday as a part of the Lenten season. No matter your reasons for choosing a meatless meal this Three Cheese Baked Penne is a great one that everyone in your family love.
In a large pot prepare pasta according to the package directions. While the pasta is cooking it’ is time to make the sauce. This is an easy sauce that’s built off a roux includes seasonings and cheese.
Begin the sauce by melting three tablespoons of butter over medium high heat. Once butter is melted add garlic and seasonings cooking whisking constantly for two minutes.
Next, add the flour to the mixture and continue to cook whisking constantly for about a minute. Add in milk and whisk to combine. Bring to a boil and
Season with salt and pepper and cool for about two minutes. Then add in cheeses and continue whisking for three or four minutes until sauce thickens.
Add cheeses to the mixture and combine.
Drain the pasta and transfer it to a greased 9×13 baking dish. Then pour an undrained can of tomatoes over the pasta and stir together.
Next pour sauce over pasta and tomatoes and toss together.
Sprinkle a little extra cheese over the top and bake for 25 minutes. At the end of that time you can remove the pasta from the oven or you can turn up the broiler and cook for another 5 minutes to brown the cheese. You get the full printable recipe by clicking below.
⭐ Did you make this recipe? Please give it a star rating below! ⭐
Baked 3 Cheese Penne Casserole
- 1 lb penne pasta
- 3 tbsp butter
- 1 cup onion - diced
- 3 cloves garlic - minced
- 1 tsp Italian seasoning
- 1/2 tsp basil
- 2 tsp all purpose flour
- 1 cup milk
- 1 cup vegetable stock or chicken stock
- 1 14 oz can Italian style diced tomatoes
- 1 cup mozzarella cheese - shredded
- 1 cup parmesan cheese - shredded
- 1 cup asiago cheese - shredded
- Preheat oven to 350
- Prepare pasta according to package directions
- In a sauce pan over medium high heat melt three tablespoons of butter.Add onions and saute until translucent.Add garlic, Italian seasoning and basil to butter and stir
- Next, add flour to pot whisking constantly for two minutesAdd milk and stock to the flour and bring to a boilSeason with salt and pepper and remove from heat and cool for about two minutes until sauce thickensAdd cheeses to the mixture and stir to combine
- While you wait for the cheese to melt drain the pasta and transfer into a 9x13 greased baking dish
- Pour an undrained can of tomatoes over the pasta
- Next, pour the sauce over of the pasta and then stir to combine
- Sprinkle a little extra cheese over the top and bake for 25 minutes
- If you want to make the cheese extra gooey turn on the broiler for 5 minutes or until the cheese is golden brown
- Want to scale a recipe up or down? Simply type in a new serving amount and the recipe will automatically adjust!
- When a recipe call for House Seasoning Blend, you can use this recipe or substitute salt and pepper to taste.
- I always use unsalted butter in my recipes.
- I always use a meat thermometor to test for doneness when cooking meat. This one is my favorite.
- When a recipe is made in the oven, it should be pre-heated to the temperature in the recipe, unless otherwise noted.
- The nutritional information provided in this recipe is an estimate. Learn more on how I calculate nutritional information for my recipes.