This Microwave Chocolate Cake recipe takes only 9 minutes to bake!
It’s the perfect easy dessert recipe when you get unexpected guests (or unexpected chocolate cravings!).
What if I told you that you could bake a scrumptious chocolate cake in just 9 minutes? I’m talking a warm, light, decadent cake that can be ready to eat in less time than it takes to unload the dishwasher? You can! I’ll show you how.
This post was sponsored by the Coca-Cola company. All thoughts and opinions are 100% my own.
Microwave Chocolate Cake Recipe
The secret is this is a microwave Chocolate Cake recipe. You read that right. The magic happens in the microwave. No preheating the oven. No 30-45 minute bake time. 9 minutes. That’s all you need to whip up this magical, chocolatey, easy Microwave Cake.
How to Make this Easy Microwave Cake
The recipe starts with a boxed Devil’s Food chocolate cake mix. You can use any brand you like. This Microwave Chocolate Cake is not fussy at all.
To the cake mix, you’re going to add the required eggs and oil. You can follow the instructions on the box for that part. But, we’re going to make a slight change when it comes to the last ingredient. Most boxed cake mixes call for water. To give this cake it’s light, airy texture, we’re going to add smartwater® sparkling water.
This delicious smartwater® sparkling water is lightly carbonated to bring you an effervescent, crisp taste with no calories, sugar or artificial flavors. It’s vapor distilled and has electrolytes added for taste. I found a 24-pack at my local Sam’s Club. The bubbles help make this easy Microwave Cake light and airy.
I love to drink smartwater® sparkling water with a slice of citrus. Lately, I’ve been obsessed with oranges. I love how crisp and refreshing it is.
Once the cake batter is mixed, pour it into a microwave-safe cake pan. Then, take half of the frosting and spread it in a ring around the cake batter. The frosting will melt into the cake while it bakes giving it a molten texture.
When the cake is done baking, melt the remaining frosting in the microwave then drizzle the melted frosting over the top of the cake.
You can serve it warm or allow it to cool.
Tips for Making Microwave Chocolate Cake
Making this Microwave Chocolate Cake recipe is pretty simple. But there are few tips to help make the process even easier.
- You need a baking pan with high sides because the cake really puffs up while in the microwave. I’ve found that this silicone bundt pan is perfect. The cake batter doesn’t overflow and make a mess while cooking.
- Use a zip top bag in place of a piping bag to spread the frosting around the cake pan. It makes clean up a breeze.
- If you want to save time, you can melt the remaining frosting on stove-top while the cake is baking. This way, it’s ready as soon as the cake is done baking.
Watch How I Make This Microwave Chocolate Cake Recipe
This video shows you just how easy it is to make this easy 9 minute microwave cake. I have even more recipe videos, including full tutorials on my YouTube channel.
[adthrive-in-post-video-player video-id=”ZPoUhgHN” upload-date=”2018-05-04T04:00:00.000Z” name=”9 Minute Chocolate Cake VIDEO FINAL” description=”This fabulous 9 minute Microwave Chocolate Cake recipe is an easy dessert that’s ready in no time! “]
Looking for More Easy Dessert Recipes?
Looking for more? Check out all of the Easy Dessert recipes on It Is a Keeper.
Items You Need to Make Microwave Chocolate Cake
⭐ Did you make this recipe? Please give it a star rating below! ⭐
Microwave Chocolate Cake
- 1 15.25 oz boxed Devil’s Food cake mix
- 1 cup smartwater® sparkling water
- ½ cup vegetable oil
- 3 eggs
- 1 16 oz container chocolate frosting
- Add cake mix, smartwater® sparkling water, vegetable oil and eggs to large bowl.
- Beat on medium speed until thoroughly combined.
- Pour batter into a microwave safe baking pan. (see note)
- Place half of the frosting into a piping bag and spread in an even layer around the top of the cake.
- (see note)
- Microwave on high for 9 minutes.
- Remove from microwave and immediately remove the cake from the pan.
- Microwave the remaining frosting on high for 30 second increments, until melted.
- Drizzle melted frosting on top of the cake.