Baked Pierogi Casserole is a dish that’s equal parts creamy, cheesy, and irresistibly satisfying. With just 5 simple ingredients, you can transform your dinner table into a cozy haven of culinary delight.
Trust me, this is one of those recipes that you can’t wait to try. Every time I make it, it gets devoured.
Our Baked Pierogi Casserole is here to save your busy weeknights with a quick and delicious solution. The magic of this recipe lies in its ability to capture the essence of beloved pierogies while streamlining the process for ultimate simplicity. But still with all the potato goodness and cheese is melted.
Why We Love Pierogi Casserole Dinner Recipe Ideas
Pierogi dinner ideas, such as this casserole, bring a warm and comforting essence to your table. This pierogi casserole effortlessly marries simplicity and satisfaction, creating a mealtime experience that’s both joyful and nourishing comfort food.
- 30 Minute Meal: Our casserole is a lifesaver for busy weeknights when you need a quick and satisfying meal on the table in no time. This homemade pierogi casserole is a true family favorite.
- Easy Ingredients: With only 5 simple ingredients, you’ll be amazed at how effortlessly this dish comes together. To keep the pasta from sticking use a little cooking spray.
- Family Loves: This recipe is kid-friendly and appeals to all ages, making it the perfect choice for family dinners. So much better than store-bought frozen pierogies.
Ingredient Notes for Cheesy Pierogi Casserole
- Elbow Pasta: Elbow pasta is the star of this dish, providing a comforting and familiar base for the casserole.
- Instant Mashed Potatoes: These save you time and effort, giving you that creamy potato goodness without the peeling, boiling, and mashing.
- Cheese: The cheese in this casserole adds a creamy and melty layer that ties everything together.
See the recipe card below for a complete list of the ingredients with measurements.
Variations and Substitutions for this Easy Dinner Recipe
While our baked pierogi casserole is already a delicious dish, there’s always room for a touch of personalization.
- Different Cheeses: Feel free to experiment with different cheeses to create unique flavor profiles. Gruyere, cheddar cheese, swiss, or pepper jack can add exciting twists to your casserole. If you like a creamy casserole add cream cheese.
- Add Veggies: To incorporate more veggies into your meal, add a handful of spinach or mushrooms into your casserole before baking.
- Chicken Broth: Make the potatoes with chicken broth for more flavor.
- Creamy Sauce: Try using a jar of alfredo sauce and some frozen peas to the delicious recipe.
- Serve: Last serve with a dollop of sour cream and a nice green salad.
How to Make This Baked Pierogi Casserole Recipe
These are the basic steps for making Baked Pierogi Casserole Recipe. Refer to the full, printable recipe card below for detailed instructions for nutritionist and any nutritional information.
Step 1: Prep
First, preheat your oven to 350 degrees. While it’s heating up, slice an onion and place it in melted butter.
Step 2: Assemble Casserole
Begin by layering half of the elbow pasta into the bottom of a casserole dish in one layer. Then drizzle 1/3 of the melted butter and onions over the pasta. Next, add half of the cheese in a single layer. Then, layer half of the mashed potatoes. Then repeat these layers – pasta, butter/onions, cheese, and potatoes. Top with remaining cheese. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
Step 3: Bake
Finally, pop your baking dish into the preheated oven and bake for 30 minutes or until the top is golden brown and the cheese mixture is melted and casserole is bubbly. If it is getting too brown, cover with foil and bake.
Recipe FAQs for this Pierogi Lasagna
Expert Tips for Making Pierogi Casseroles
These insights will help you master the art of crafting delicious and satisfying pierogi casseroles. Discover how to customize your pierogi casserole with flair and elevate its flavors to create a memorable dining experience.
- Toppings: Add a sprinkle of fresh green onion or a dollop of sour cream for a burst of freshness and creaminess that complements the flavors perfectly.
- Add Protein: If you want to make this dish heartier, incorporate meat to the potato mixture, try cooked bacon bits, ground sausage, smoked sausage, sliced kielbasa or diced ham. Does it get better than pierogies and kielbasa?!?!
- Homemade Mashed Potatoes: If you prefer homemade mashed potatoes, feel free to make them from scratch and use them in this great recipe.
- Store: Store leftover pierogi casserole in an airtight container or wrap the leftover pierogi mixture with plastic wrap. I’ve even store these American Pierogoies in the freezer.
What to Serve with Baked Pierogi Casserole
- Instant Pot BBQ Ribs
- Quick Caramelized Onions
- Crispy Brussel Sprout Recipe with Prosciutto
- Antipasto Misto Salad
Baked Pierogi Casserole
- 2 cups Butter, 2 sticks melted
- 1 Onion, sliced
- 1 pound Elbow macaroni, cooked and drained
- 6 servings instant mashed potatoes
- 16 slices American cheese
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Slice onion and place in melted butter.
- Layer half of the macaroni into the bottom of a 13×9 baking dish. Add 1/3 of the melted butter and onions.
- Place half of the cheese in a single layer on top of the macaroni.
- Layer half of the mashed potatoes on top of the cheese. Add another 1/3 of the butter and onions.
- Repeat the layers – macaroni, butter/onions, cheese and potatoes.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes or until the top is lightly browned.