These Apple Monster Halloween Snacks are a quick and easy treat that you can whip up in minutes. These little monsters will have your little goblins begging for more!
If you’re looking for easy to make Halloween treat ideas, these Apple Monsters are just the ticket. They only take a few minutes to make and kids love to help make them.
Ingredients for Apple Monster Halloween Snacks
They use only a few easy to find ingredients and can be customized to suit your tastes or dietary needs. These are one of my favorite non-candy Halloween treats.
Here’s what you’ll need:
- Apples – I used Granny Smith but you can use any variety you like
- Peanut Butter
- Candy Eyes
More Recipes You Might Enjoy
- Sloppy Joe Grilled Cheese
- Air Fryer Roasted Chickpeas
- The Best Meatloaf Recipes
- 20 Best Overnight Oat Recipes
How to Make Apple Monsters – Step by Step
- Gather all of the ingredients: Apples, strawberries (sliced), peanut butter, almonds and candy eyes. (Photo 1 below)
- Cut apples in quarters, remove core and cut an opening: On a cutting board, slice apple and remove core. Use a paring knife to cut an opening into the center of each piece. The opening will be the Monster’s mouth.
- (Photo 2 below)
- Add peanut butter: Using a butter knife, spread a layer of peanut butter into the cavity you cut into each apple. (Photo 3 below)
- Add teeth: Place several almond slices into the peanut butter on the top of each apple section. (Photo 1 below)
- Add the monster’s tongue: Lay a strawberry slice onto the bottom of the cavity. (Photo 2 below)
- Add eyes: Use peanut butter to attach the candy eyes onto the apple section. (Photo 3 below)
Ingredient Substitutions for these Easy Halloween Treats
One of the best things about these healthy Halloween treats is that you can customize them to suit your family’s tastes and dietary needs. Here are some substitutions you can make:
- Replace the peanut butter with cream cheese (plain or flavored)
- Replace the almonds with pepitas/sunflower seeds or oats
- Replace the strawberry with fruit leather
Can These Be Made Ahead of Time?
Yes, these Apple Monster Halloween treats can easily be made ahead of time. These healthy Halloween treats are great for parties because you can make them ahead of time. However, because you’re using fresh apples, I would make them the same day you are planning to eat them.
How to Prevent Apples from Browning
There are a number of ways you can keep apples from turning brown. The most well known method is to brush the cut side of the apple with lemon juice. The citric acid in lemons helps to keep the apple from turning brown.
Another method (and my favorite) is to use Fruit Fresh. This is designed specifically to keep fruit fresher longer. There are other methods, such as using Ginger Ale. You can check them out here and see a sort-of-scientific test of the results.
Expert Tips for Making the Best Apple Monster Halloween Snacks
Making these Apple Monster Halloween Snacks is easy when you follow these expert tips:
- Use a sharp knife: Using a sharp kitchen knife will ensure your apples have clean edges and that your monsters sit properly. Some even believe that using a snap knife will help prevent your apple from browning quickly.
- Prevent apples from browning: Use Fruit Fresh or lemon juice to prevent apples from turning brown. For more recommendations see the section above.
- Use different apple varieties: You can use any type of apples for these Halloween snacks. I used Granny Smith because they are green, but you can use Golden Delicious (yellow apples) or other red varieties. You can even mix them up!
- Substitute ingredients to fit your tastes/dietary needs: See some of my recommendations above.
More Halloween Treat Ideas
Looking for more? Check out all of the Halloween party food on It Is a Keeper.
⭐ Did you make this recipe? Please give it a star rating below! ⭐
Apple Monster Halloween Snacks
- 1 apple
- 1 strawberry sliced
- 5 sliced almonds
- 1 tablespoon peanut butter
- 2 candy eyes
- Cut apple in quarters and remove apple core.
- Use a paring knife to cut an opening into the center of each piece. The opening will be the Monster's mouth.
- Using a butter knife, spread a layer of peanut butter into the cavity you cut into each apple.
- Place 4-5 almond slices for the Monster's teeth into the peanut butter on the top of each apple section.
- Lay a strawberry slice for the Monster's tongue onto the bottom of the cavity.
- Use peanut butter to attach the candy eyes onto the apple section.
- Different apples: Mix it up with golden delicious, macintosh or whatever you like to eat!
- Use a sharp knife: Using a sharp kitchen knife will ensure your apples have clean edges and that your monsters sit properly.
- Replace: the peanut butter with cream cheese (plain or flavored).
- Try: Instead of almonds, try pepitas/sunflower seeds or oats.
- Alternative to Strawberries: fruit leather or candy strips.
Estimated Nutritional Information
The nutritional information provided are estimates. To learn more about how I calculate this information go to www.itisakeeper.com/about-its-a-keeper/privacy-disclosure-policies/
This recipe was adapted from My Joy Filled Life.My Joy Filled Life.