If you’re looking for a different pumpkin dessert to make this holiday season, I’ve got the recipe for you! This scrumptious Pumpkin Carrot Cake with Cream Cheese Frosting is a delicious twist on a one of my favorite desserts — carrot cake! This may not be one of my easy dessert recipes but it is definitely one of the best!
I got this recipe from my mom. Several years ago, this recipe took top prize at her office bake-off! And, since it was based on carrot cake, I knew I had to try it!
This recipe calls for canned pumpkin, but you could just as easily swap out your own homemade pumpkin puree. That’s how I do it.
Here are some other recipes you may like:
For more recipe inspiration, be sure to check out these pages on It is a Keeper:
Did you make this recipe? Please give it a star rating below!
Pumpkin Carrot Cake
For the cake:
- 2 cups flour2 tsp baking soda
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 3/4 cup milk
- 1 1/2 tsp lemon juice
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 1 1/4 cups pumpkin puree
- 3 eggs
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 1 cup crushed pineapple - drained, 8 oz
- 1 cup grated carrots - about 3 medium
- 1 cup shredded coconut
- 1 1/4 cups chopped walnuts - divided
For the frosting:
- 11 oz cream cheese - softened
- 1/3 cup softened butter
- 3 1/2 cups powdered sugar - sifted
- 2 tsp orange juice
- 2 tsp vanilla
- Combine flour, baking soda, cinnamon and salt in a small bowl.
- In a measuring cup, stir together milk and lemon juice (mixture will appear curdled).
- Beat sugar, pumpkin, eggs, brown sugar and vegetable oil together in a large bowl until combined. Add in pineapple, carrots and milk mixture and mix until combined.
- Gradually add in the flour mixture.
- Fold in 1 cup of walnut and coconut.
- Pour into 2 greased, 9 inch cake pans.
- Bake in preheated 350 degree oven for 30-35 minutes or until a cake tested inserted into the center comes out clean.
- Cool in pans for 15 minutes.
- Remove to cool racks and cool completely.
- To make cream cheese frosting, beat cream cheese and butter in a large mixing bowl.
- Gradually beat in powdered sugar.
- Stir in orange juice and vanilla.
- To assemble cake, frost between layered, on top and sides of cake with Cream Cheese Frosting. Garnish with remaining walnuts.
- Store in refrigerator.
- Want to scale a recipe up or down? Simply type in a new serving amount and the recipe will automatically adjust!
- When a recipe call for House Seasoning Blend, you can use this recipe or substitute salt and pepper to taste.
- I always use unsalted butter in my recipes.
- I always use a meat thermometor to test for doneness when cooking meat. This one is my favorite.
- When a recipe is made in the oven, it should be pre-heated to the temperature in the recipe, unless otherwise noted.
- The nutritional information provided in this recipe is an estimate. Learn more on how I calculate nutritional information for my recipes.