Welcome to my Slow Cookin’ Summer series where I’ll be sharing 12 weeks of easy recipes for a slow cooker! Make sure you subscribe to It’s a Keeper so you don’t miss a single one! Just click here and I will email you as soon as a new recipe is posted.
Let’s keep the Slow Cookin’ Summer Series going with this recipe from Chef Becca from It’s Yummi! Here’s her recipe:
When it’s hot outside and you don’t want to heat up the oven, fire up your slow cooker for some Sweet ‘n Spicy Slow Cooker Mango Chicken! This is a recipe post written by Chef Becca, from It’s Yummi!
Is it scorching hot where you live? Up in northeastern Wisconsin, we’re having an exceptionally hot summer. When temperatures reaching the high 80’s, the last thing I want to do is use my oven to prepare meals for my family. Sure, we could order in a pizza or go out for a bite to eat, but I’m a chef, and I love to create recipes from scratch. That’s where no-oven-needed recipes like my chilled cucumber soup and this slow cooker mango chicken fit perfectly into my menu plan. Fresh boneless chicken breast is cooked up with garden veggies, southwest spices, and fresh mango for a delicious dinner that’s a perfect blend of sweet and spicy (and everything nice-y)!
One of things that I love the most about this slow cooker mango chicken recipe is how versatile it is. You can serve it up in tortillas with your favorite taco toppings, on top of greens for a healthy salad, over baked potatoes, buttered noodles, or even rice.
As a matter of fact, if you want to make rice the easy way, this recipe has enough liquid in it that you could add 1/2 cup of dry rice to the slow cooker about 2 hours before it’s finished cooking. You’ll end up with a really flavorful dish that won’t require anything extra. Well, except maybe some cheesy ranch biscuits and some no-bake whipped cream cheesecake for dessert.
Sweet ‘n Spicy Slow Cooker Mango Chicken
- 1.5 pounds boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 1 onion, diced medium size
- 1 red bell pepper, diced medium size
- 1 green bell pepper, diced medium size
- 1 yellow summer squash or zucchini, cut horizontally and sliced
- 1/2 cup pickled jalapenos or 1 whole raw jalapeno, seeded and diced
- 3 tablespoons lime juice
- 12 ounces (1.5 liquid cups) chicken stock
- 2 tablespoons minced garlic
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 2 teaspoons cumin
- 3/4 teaspoon kosher or sea salt
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon onion powder or dehydrated onion flakes
- 2 mangoes, peeled and cubed (can also use 2 cups frozen mango)
- 1/2 cup uncooked rice
- Place chicken, onion, bell pepper, squash, jalapenos, lime juice, chicken stock and all spices into the slow cooker; stir to combine.
- Set the slow cooker to low and cook for 6-7 hours.
- Shred the chicken with two forks, add rice, mangoes and cilantro and cook for an additional hour, or until the rice is fluffy and has absorbed the liquid.
Thanks so much for sharing your great recipe, Becca! If you like this recipe, please pin it or share it! And, of course make sure you subscribe to It’s a Keeper so you don’t miss a single one!
You can find all of the Slow Cookin’ Summer recipes here along with my favorite easy crock pot recipes and tips for using your slow cooker.
For more recipe inspiration, be sure to check out these pages on It’s a Keeper:
- Slow Cookin’ Summer Recipe Index
- Easy Crock Pot Recipes
- 70+ Quick Dinner Ideas
4 thoughts on “Sweet ‘n Spicy Slow Cooker Mango Chicken”
This sounds so delicious. I love mango, chicken, and slow cooking food. Triple WIN!
Oh this just looks so good! I’ve got to try it. I’m loving your Slow Cooker series!
Thanks for giving me the chance to share with your readers, Christina! I hope you enjoy my recipe 🙂
Thank you so much, Becca! Your recipe sounds absolutely delicious! I can’t wait to make it!